Adjusting

The crisp cool breeze of the ocean blew at the gentle waves that approached and collided with the sand at the bottom of her sandals.

Rhaenella awoke early each day, walked to the shore of the beach and watched the sunrise.

Her thoughts elsewhere but her eyes never lost sight of the dragon who happily flew above the water. Enjoying its freedom and newfound ability to fly.

With every passing day she grew more anxious, concerned and angered.

It been six fort-nights with no sight of the other three brothers who departed. She stopped counting, with her continuous questioning to the eldest Ragnarson, she had learned her way around enough to lead her back to the last place she'd seen his blue eyes.

Sigurd walked beside her slowly, although the beach was small he enjoyed watching her sigh at the beauty of the ocean view.

And it's as if he knew that she longed for the ocean as well as he spoke, "One day, when we have established all that we will conquer together. You will sail with me, beside me and you will see all the oceans and lands. As my wife."

The silver haired girl turned to him with a frown, "You speak of this with certainty that I've chosen you."

Sigurd chuckled, his hand now extending to remove his hair from his eyes in order to wink at her playfully, "I know I've won."

"How?"

He shrugged, his face now stern with seriousness, "Unlike my brother who lack the common knowledge of bargaining. I know how to manipulate my battle."

"So I am a battle to you?" She questioned.

"Oh no, of course not darling. But you are the prize. My brothers are my opponents. But your heart...." his hand reached to caress a strand of her hair, "Is the battlefield."

Closing her eyes, inhaling one last time before she called out for her dragon.

"Rivarion, come."

Obedient as always, the dragon flew down to land on her shoulder, screeching excitedly and tiredly at its daily exercise of its wings. Chuckling she turned away from the ocean, giving up hope once again for their return.

Growing closer to the busy streets of Kattegat, greeting the friendly and rude natives she made sure to hold her ground and make her presence known.

Some slurred quiet insults and others bewildered at her glorious dragon.

But she did not allow them to crawl under her skin, at least the voices didn't reach until she found herself alone in her hut with her thoughts running wild.

She'd cry many nights, pulling at her hair and plotting to escape. But how could she? Ubbe had men follow her every move in secret and he continuously dragged her to spend time with Margarethe.

The slightest warmth of happiness came when she would be approached by the children who played near the horses. Awaiting for her arrival to play with the creature at her shoulder. While they followed her back to the small clearing of the stables. Sittting on a small stool as they gathered around her to listen curiously at the stories she shared of her homeland.

"Rhaenella, when Rivarion grows big and tall can I fly with him?" One of the children excitedly asked as Rhaenella chuckled and nodded her head, "Of course, I shall provide each and everyone one of you with the permission of your parents of course but we must also wait and see if he'll grow large enough for all of you to ride together."

Another child stood now and threw his hands in the air to imitate flying, "I want to be a dragon too!"

"I want to be a princess!" Another girl exclaimed, soon enough all the children joined in to chatter on their hopes and dreams.