Spiral

Watching the life of a human leaving the body or even their very existence turn into nothing but ashes before the eyes was exhilarating and peaceful to the vikings and yet to Rhaenella it was anything but

It's everything she didn't imagine it would be.

Death.

So welcoming.
So reassuring.
So comforting.

To vikings, it meant the possibility, no, the hope of the gods blessing them.

Yet there she was.

An ungrateful being.

A being who they personally bestowed powers and a mystical creature.

A woman who was so frail, weak and submissive.

Despite everything she's gone through the past year, she would revert back to that afraid child her brother had brainwashed at the sight of the sacrificial man or woman, thanking her for killing them.

Her life was an emotional hill of waves and tidals of uncertainty.

Her husband.

A vile man, cruel man who would not hesitate to slay any and whomever approached him.

He was a different man.

That was not the man she married.

The man she married was Ivar.

Ivar was passionate, loving and with a vast amount of admiration for her.

The man she witnessed that night of the sacrifice moons ago, was another form of her husband.

And each quarter, he returned.

In that one day that the people offered a sacrifice a piece of her died along with them. Her body would shut down, she could not eat or sleep. She'd hope that with that she would become accustomed to it but it never happened.

So there she stood, near the diminishing firewood of her hut, awaiting for her husband to return.

After the sacrificial bloodshed, she spent most of the night trying to forget the smell, the sight and the agony she witnessed. While Ivar spent his time drinking and eating with his Vikings.

Gyzza had become so accustomed to the Viking Queen turning into a frightened child that she began to condone it a normality.