Chapter 2

June’s perspective

I stand outside Day’s house, Commander Jameson beside me. She drags Mrs. Wing and Day’s younger brother, Eden, outside. Day’s door has that strange X with a line across on top.

“June, don’t just stand there!” Commander Jameson yells at me, but I stay frozen. I want to cry that Day was not the murderer, but my body doesn’t listen and I can’t move.

Get a grip on yourself, June!

I manage a step forward, but it’s too late. Commander Jameson puts a bullet through Mrs. Wing’s and Eden’s head and I stiffen, staggering forward, unable to speak. Suddenly, two people run forward, blindfolded. I realise I am now standing at a balcony, watching the firing squad down below…

The firing squad.

They pull off their blindfolds—Day and John, Day’s other brother.

Before the shots come, Day mouths my name.

I scream myself awake, the scene of Day being shot over and over again replaying in my mind. I want the comfort of someone, and I realise I was searching for Day, disappointed when I find that no one’s here to tell me it was a dream.

“It felt so real, Day,” I say out loud, closing my fingers around my paper-clip ring. Of course, Day is just known by his real name, Daniel, now. My nightmare was only half-true. I mean, I did lead the Republic right through Day’s door and because of that, Day’s mother died. I also caused Day’s arrest and he was sentenced to death, but John took his place. I caused John’s death too. They were wrongful deaths, with Day being punished for something he didn’t do, which was murdering my brother, the last of my family.

I had thought that everything I done, things like this, will only result in Day’s misery, so I wanted myself to have nothing to do with him. Which was why that day when Day woke up with his memory lost, I didn’t tell him I loved him, and he loved me.

I still love him, but I doubt he’ll feel the same after he remembers what I did to him and his family.

“It’s only a matter of time,” Doctor Susan, his doctor, had said.

Just then, the bell rang. I hadn’t want to see whoever was outside, for I was a mess, with hair stuck to my forehead because of sweat, but I opened the door when I saw who was outside.

“Doctor Susan.”

“Good morning, Miss Iparis,” She smiles, her blonde hair bun bobbing a little on top. I usher her to a cushioned seat.

“What brings you here, Doctor?”

“Please, call me Susan. I’ll get straight to the point, June. Daniel remembers more now, and he remembers you causing his mother’s death, as well as his brother’s.”

I hang my head low. I prepared myself for this many times before, but hearing it was a whole new thing. The news seem to hit me in the chest, and I accidentally drop a teacup. Susan doesn’t seem to care as she continues.

“He’s angry now, but he should understand that it was not your fault soon. In the meantime, please refrain from visiting Daniel, this piece of news is already too much to handle, you shouldn’t trigger more memories.”

“Of course. I understand,” I gulp and am surprised that I spoke, and even so spoke quite coolly. But inside, I was afraid, I didn’t know of what. Perhaps I want Day to come back to me, but will he, now that he knows what a monster I am?

I trace the paper clip ring. There’s no denying, he probably won’t.