Chapter 32-33

Chapter 32

Day’s perspective

Soldiers start racing towards us, and we fight them off, but we are outnumbered soon. I turn and fire at Combatants as we try to find a way out, when suddenly one takes me by surprise and points a gun at my head. But then he is shot and falls.

“Day!” I spin my head around to see June holding a gun. But behind her is a Combatant who puts her in a headlock during that brief moment exchanged between us.

“Don’t come any closer!” The Combatant growls. “Place your weapons down!”

The fighting ceases and Nikolai looks at me. Of course I would follow, but Nikolai does not have any reason to do it, yet he’s the first to place his weapon on the floor, raising his hands in surrender. I copy him.

We’re surrounded.

Chapter 33

June’s perspective

So stupid of me to let my guard down like that, but at that point I was only thinking of Day, and I saw in his eyes that he was only thinking about me. A Combatant grabbed me and had me in a headlock, so now I’m at the mercy of him.

Nikolai and Day place their weapons down, and I know I have to do something before they get arrested. Think, June, think.

Then I remember the bomb that explodes when people are in proximity. It’s in the cell, and I have to somehow get all the Combatants into the cell, and Nikolai and Day away from there. But how? I grasp at the Combatant’s hand on me and he finally releases enough for me to speak.

“Please… please don’t hurt Day!” I yell in my best imitation of an innocent-girl-driven-mad-by-love voice, praying it works since the Combatants don’t know me very well and hopefully don’t expect such a move. “Imprison me if you must, I’ll tell you everything!”

“Tell us what?” Prompts my attacker.

“There’s a bomb outside the cell,” I point to a spot in between Nikolai and Day. “You shouldn’t go there.”

My attacker considers this for a moment. “Mr Parker wants Day alive, and that boy I’m not sure, but just keep him alive in case. Escort them both to the end of the corridors, and I want them handled carefully!” He barks.

“There’s also one down the corridor, and one near me. We’re trapped,” I tell him.

He laughs viciously. “Trapped? Nonsense! Fine then, Combatants get inside the cell, it’s the only shelter, and we have an excuse to not bring them back alive. June, throw this on the spot where the bomb is.”

“But I…”

“DO IT AND I WILL SPARE YOUR LIFE!” He yells into my ear. That’s why it’s a good thing no one knows me well, because then they would know I would retort that they will spare my life anyway, and never do it. But because it’s an act, I pretend to consider it.

“Close the door,” I tell the Combatants now neatly positioned inside. I bite back a laugh, because my commands were so stupid but they actually followed it. Maybe they’re just robots with no brains, programmed to only follow accordingly. With the door closed, Day and Nikolai should be safe, with an exception to injuries which are inevitable at this point of time.

The bomb goes off.

As soon as it triggers, I take advantage of my attacker’s shock and the rock he gave me to throw comes into contact with his skull, and I hit it such that his skull is dented badly, and he can’t be saved anymore. I race to Day and Nikolai, who instinctively threw themselves sideways during the explosion. They’re hurt, I’m not sure to what extent, but they are fine enough to pick themselves up. Just then, we hear chaos down below.

“The Republic’s here,” Mumbles Nikolai as we get weapons and go to join the Republic.

We meet Pascao down there, and he insists for us to return first. Most of the Combatants are regrouping, and we don’t chase after them, because we have to reassemble, and plan our next defence, and they will outnumber us eventually.

With that, I climb into the helicopter Amethyst is in, along with Day and her brother, who probably has something broken.

“Oh my god, Nikolai,” Amethyst helps Nikolai into the helicopter and they hug quickly, which causes Day to raise an eyebrow.

“Come on, let’s go home.” I say, but the pilot of this helicopter spins around.

“Miss Iparis, I’m afraid there’s no home for you to go back to.”