Chapter 22

Day's perspective

I’m coming, June, I whisper to the paper clip ring before tucking it in again. The Republic attacks the Combatants, who clearly didn’t expect it. The good thing was most of them were half, or completely drunk.

I run for someone—I had my eyes on him. I hit and shoot at the people who block my way, wrecking everything separating me from him. Nick Franwell.

He grabs a gun, even though he’s half-drunk, and I shoot his arm. Nick lets go off the gun, cupping his hand to the wound, letting out a grunt of pain, just as my fingers close around his neck, hurling him up, but not tight enough that he can’t speak.

“Day Wing, what do you want?”

“Where’s June Iparis?” I holler. “She was dressed as Amethyst Chase.” At first, he looks at me blankly, then the puzzle pieces in his mind fit together and he laughs, a dark laugh.

“Oh, I see. Such a clever girl, pity she won’t survive, am I right?”

“TELL ME WHERE SHE IS. I swear I will rip your head off.”

Nick grins. “Like I can’t take you.”

“Look, you’re half-drunk and—“ I gesture behind to his brother, who was being held as hostage by Nikolai Chase, “if you don’t cooperate, we will kill him.”

He shakes his head. “I would rather let him die than betray the Combatants. They made me feel at home, when you Republic tossed me out onto the streets for me to fend for myself. You and I, we’re the same you know.”

“Listen cousin, we’re not. Because unlike you, I learnt to forget and forgive, that the past was the past. One deserves redemption, and Anden has my forgiveness. Blood ties don’t make you follow suit, it is a chance for us to relive a life, to have the freedom to choose to change,” I reply. “And the thing about the Republic? We opted for change, and we shall have it. This is what victors do. You think your Combatants will fend for you? They didn’t even bother to call for backup, because they already evacuated people like Parker and there’s no point of lives lost because of you.”

“Impossible. I am his right-hand man…”

“He says that to everybody,” Surprisingly, it was a lady Combatant that spoke up. “Parker sacrificed my brother. He only cares about himself, unlike the new Republic.”

Nick seems to consider our words, and finally he hangs his head low. “Basement four. Passcode 365, you’ll need to hit a panel and scan your Combatants mark. The panel is the fourth from the right. June should be in the first cell—we don’t get many prisoners.”

With that, I race down, following Nick’s instructions. I’m almost there, running to June’s cell, when something hard hits the back of my head. I struggle to stand, but I can’t, and the darkness envelopes me once again.