Chapter 26-27

Chapter 26

Day’s perspective

“Day, Day, wake up,” Someone says as I gain my consciousness. I open my eyes to see Nikolai and a few other soldiers bent over me.

“Where’s June?” I sit up immediately, too fast my head spins.

“I… I don’t know. Only after days we managed to find you, but June is gone.”

“The Alterer beat the Anti-Alterers. They tortured me in front of June, to get her to agree to persuade the Republic to surrender,” I tell them, surveying my surroundings. Outside my cell, Combatants lay dead, but there were lesser guarding me. I am rendered pretty much useless now—most of them must be guarding June.

“Okay. Jacob and Joo Kim, get Day to Captain Sharon or Hayward. Kaye, follow me.”

“No! I’m going to find June too,” I protest.

“Not under my watch. Move along, soldier,” Says Joo Kim firmly. But I grab the nearest gun and use the back to hit, sliding a hand over.

“I’m going. I care about June more than any of you,” I spat.

“Boyfriends these days,” I could hear Kaye mutter as Nikolai grunted. He flings a gun onto my chest, but I catch it just in time. “What the hell—“

“Listen, I was told to deliver you. Just ‘cause you’re a precious beat-up ex-criminal, doesn’t mean I can’t hurt you. Go with us, I don’t care if you die. But if you can’t keep up, if you hold us back, I swear to God I will beat the bloody hell out of you,” Nikolai’s eyes blaze as he grips my shirt.

“Get your filthy hands off me…” I challenge, but am quickly released by Nikolai.

“If he dies, you’re a witness,” He gestures to Kaye and they move. I try to catch up, but they move so swiftly, so silently, and I’m a mess, so I linger quite a distance.

“—should just kill him,” I hear Kaye mumble. I clench my fists, trying to calm myself down. If it weren’t for June, for the fact that this dispute will be a delay, and every second wasted is a second closer to June’s possible death after she broadcasts her message, I would have shredded Nikolai. But I have to keep moving, and I remind myself every step is a step closer to June, so I get my feet moving, eyes on the prize.

 Chapter 27

June’s perspective

Warning: Vulgarities in this chapter haha / as usual comments and votes will be appreciated! Tell me what you think, and if you follow me I will follow back asap

Check out @.dystopianfiction on Instagram? J

 “Remind me again how am I supposed to convince the Republic to surrender?” I ask Harry.

“Think of your own way, June Iparis. You’re a smart girl, are you not? I know you will try your very best.”

I had to force myself to compose and not laugh, because poor Harry got it all wrong. He always does, even at Drake. It puzzles me how he became a leader, and how the Combatants so foolishly followed his instructions. Lucky we had people like Nikolai, who dare to speak up and the Elector, who would follow the citizens’ wishes when necessary.

What was Harry’s instructions? That they seal off the compartment that I’m going to convey my message, to “let myself be at ease”. The door could only be opened from the inside. There would only be two guards inside with me, and I could take them down easily.

So incredibly stupid, the plan amuses me. It was all the time I needed to tell the Republic to continue fighting, and that the Combatants would attack tomorrow. I got this piece of information because I eavesdropped on my guards talking. The Combatants weren’t even careful, but it must be because Harry told them I could be trusted.

Yeah right.

“You’re on air in 3,2,1…”

“Citizens of the Republic! I am June Iparis, and I am here today on behalf of the Combatants with a message before you all. From the previous attacks on the Republic, I believe most of you think this is a losing war. Most of you think that the Combatants are innovative, because of the creations of the Alterers.” I pause, taking a deep breath. “But think again.” Just then, I heard Harry sucking in his breath through my earpiece. “June what are you—“ The two guards advance on me, and I hit one easily, stealing his gun, and shooting them.

“The leader of the Combatants was stupid enough to let me convey what they thought was a warning message, with only two guards.” I held up the guards for the Republic to see them. Maybe this wasn’t a thing old June Iparis would do. But this was a whole new person, a person that understood there will be losses for a winner. “We may have lost the battle, but we shall win the war. I taught my captains this motto--

‘Whatever you are physically... male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy-- all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.’*

When I decided to let go the role of Princeps and take on my current role, this is what I thought. For the past 10 years I dedicated myself to train all our soldiers to believe this. When I was in Drake, I came across this book. It said that our founder was nicknamed Lux, Latin for light. Because he chose to walk in the light, he chose to be in the light. And therefore the Republic pulled through. Tomorrow, the Combatants will attack. So show me now, citizens, that you all are warriors! That we can walk in the light again!”

Just then, Combatants kick the door down. But I did not fight, I was finished with what I needed to say. Even if they killed me now, I would die a triumphant death. Maybe this was what Day felt when he himself was forced to convey a negative message to the Republic, but didn’t do what he was supposed to.

“Stupid bitch,” Cursed Harry as a Combatant used something hard to hit me, metal or something.

But I forced myself to smile as the world spins.

“Long live the Republic,” I mutter before I sink into the darkness.

*Acknowledgements: The motto, (the one with * next to it), is from Clockwork Angel, the first book of the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. Full credit goes to that novel. The quote may not be exactly the same, for this is what I recalled it to be. All other quotes, including June’s motivating message was original. However, in Champion by Marie Lu, she mentions “chooses to walk in the light” and June’s message and intentions are related to it. That’s probably my inspiration J