Chapter 34-35

Chapter 34

Day’s perspective

June buries her face in her hands.

“What do you mean no home?” Amethyst asks, tending to Nikolai.

“The Combatants burned your homes to the ground, except Amethyst’s.”

June’s head shoots up. “Everything?” Her voice shakes.

“Eden?!” I ask at the same time, hearing the fear in my own voice.

“Eden Wing was saved in time, but he has minor smoke inhalation. And yes, Miss Iparis.”

“Oh god. All of Metias’ journals, whatever was left of him is gone now...”

The ride took a while, but as soon as we touched down, I race to the hospital Eden’s in. He’s on the bed, machine attached to him, conscious.

“Mr Wing, you’re here.” Surprisingly, Doctor Susan is inside. Tess sits next to Eden.

“How’s Eden?”

“Eden is fine. The smoke inhalation isn’t that bad, it’s just for emergency purposes.” Doctor Susan stands up. “The good news is, Eden’s eye condition seems to be improving a little.”

“Daniel, I’m fine,” Eden says as Tess smiles at me.

“Excuse me, I shall give you all some privacy,” Doctor Susan tells us before leaving. Tess looks over my shoulder to watch her go and I sit down across Tess.

“Day, do you think we’ll win the war?” Tess asks me all of a sudden, eyes wide.

“Of course we will. When June and I were captured, they did so many brainless things I lose count.” I grin. Tess nods, but her smile fades, face serious.

“I heard they burnt June’s apartment to the ground. Poor June, all those journals and items from her brother…”

I look down, not able to think a reply. It must be horrible, losing the last gifts from her brother, all gone, as if her brother was never there.

“Day?” Tess snaps me out of my reverie. “You should go comfort June. She must be feeling terrible.”

“But Eden…”

“Go ahead, Daniel. I’m fine, and Tess will take good care of me,” Eden says. I consider this.

“Fine, I’ll go.” I reply, standing up to leave.

Chapter 35

June’s perspective

Ash and nothing, ash and nothing. I tried to scavenge whatever was left of my brother, but the Combatants did a good job of destroying everything. Eventually I resigned, squatting on the floor, trying to cry, but no tears come out, my heart just feel empty, longing for a last glance from Metias, a last touch, a last word…

After we touched down, Day ran for Eden, Amethyst followed Nikolai to have a check-up done, leaving me running for my house alone.

His journals either vanished without a trace or burned to the ground. All gone, all gone. I want to cry, I want to scream, but I just feel hollow, trying to grasp at memories with my brother. But I’m grasping at air, it’s as though Metias was never here.

“June?” I recognise the voice—Day. He crosses the room, and squats next to me.

“Nothing.” I tell him without looking up. “Everything’s gone.” I can hear the sorrow in my own voice, the loneliness.

“No.”

“No?” I repeat, looking up at him. His eyes are blazing.

“No. Metias is not gone. Listen to me, June. His goddy journals may be gone, his notes, but his presence is not. Once a person creeps into your heart, he never comes out. Metias is still in there, in your mind, in your heart, he hasn’t vanished.” He tells me. And I know he has a point there, because all this while I still haven’t forgotten Day, even after ten years.

“But his letters, all addressed to me…”

“You still remember his words right? He’s still here, June. He’s still here.” I look up to Day’s eyes.

Impulsively, I hug Day tight, and his reaction is immediate. He stumbles back a little, for I threw myself with such force. Slowly, he wraps his own arms around me, and I bury my face in his shirt.

“Will you follow me? I’m going to see Metias later.” I ask and feel him nod. We stay like that for a while, but then I feel Day stir and I let him go.

“Day?” He clutches his head, shaking.

“June… please go… Alterer…”

But before I can leave I throw up blood all over the broken floor boards. “June…” Day whimpers, and I try to make my way to the door, to get help, but the pain in my chest is agonizing. Day’s being affected by the Alterer, I don’t know how, but any minute he can kill me now.

“Come on… Day… fight it.” My voice is just as damaged as his, as something seems to knock the wind out of my chest. Day struggles to fight the Alterer, but he is weak, and so am I. I grunt in pain, dropping to the ground after a failed attempt to make myself stand. I crawl towards the door, but the distance seems to be enormous.

“Help…” I try to yell, but it just comes out as a mutter. It’s so painful stars dance across my vision, and I think that I might die. I hear Day groan from behind me, fighting still. Suddenly, he walks towards me and grips the back of my jacket.

“Please, Day,” I beg as he turns me to face him, and exhausted, I lean against something behind me. But his eyes are merciless. He looks unreachable, like a heartless robot himself, but I have to try. “Day, I know you’re in there—“ I am stopped by a fit of coughing, spilling blood. Then, I catch the glint of his paper clip ring. I reach forward and snatch it off him, holding it in front of Day. “Remember,” I tell him, as I lose consciousness for seconds.

He blinks at me, and I have hope that he can change to himself again. He holds the ring, fingers tracing over it. “Remember,” He repeats, and I can tell that he’s shifting, and that he’s back to normal.

“Oh god. June.” He whispers, pulling me close. I cough a bit of blood onto his shirt, but he doesn’t seem to care.

The last thing I remember is him carrying me out of the house.