Chapter 11

Day’s perspective

I wake with a start. Why am I here? Then I remember, I remember the doctors taking out pieces of metal from my back. They said we were lucky we didn’t get the heat, but the bomb caused many machines to explode into pieces. June remains unscathed, but she fainted, and the doctors say it might be due to shock, but I doubt June will faint because of things like this.

But do you know her that well?

Honestly speaking, no.

And now it’s clearer that the Alterer is messing up my memories, so I know those negative recollections of June were fake, but the doctors say even if I know, my mind will confuse me, so I will forget again temporarily, and even if I remember, they can control my body under the right circumstances.

“Day,” June whispers as she lies on the bed beside mine.

“The Combatants,” I tell her.

“The what?”

“The people that put the Alterer. They have the mark of a crescent moon and a line across.”

June nods. “Their mark was on the bombs too.”

“June, you know about the Alterer. If they can control my mind, that means I might just suddenly see you as a threat… and harm you, right?”

June inhales sharply, seemingly unable to tolerate the truth. She replies, her voice shaking a little, “Yes, apparently. Should I call the nurse to say you’re awake?”

“No point. I’m sure they’re busy with the other patients,” I say. There should be a lot of patients, since there were other bomb attacks. One in the Elector’s office, one in a City gathering. One in a hospital too, but that bomb was safely removed before it could explode. “June, did something happen to you?” I ask, thinking of how she fainted, and still wasn’t discharged, though she wasn’t badly harmed.

“I… I don’t know. The doctors say they’re going to scan and make sure, though. Do you know why they can’t remove the Alterer from you, Day?”

“I hear that there’s a 90% chance of death if they let me undergo that operation. They didn’t really explain to me why, though.”

Just then, a doctor arrives.

“Miss Iparis, have you ever undergone an operation around the same time Day did his?” He says urgently.

“I don’t think so,” Replies June.

“June, I suspect the Combatants placed an Alterer in you too, but they must have put a prototype. They can’t seem to alter your memories, but I’m afraid it has bad effects on you—fainting, throwing up, even worse, because your body is unable to adapt to your Alterer. Perhaps this is the whole point.”

I gulp, taking the news in, but June remains as still as a statue, expressionless.

“What does that mean?”

“It means that if your body can’t fight against the Alterer, you will die, June.”

Reunited: A Legend Novel | ✓ (#Wattys2014) जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें