Chapter 7-8

Chapter 7

Day’s perspective

I try and list all the things I remembered about June, the ones that weren’t filled with pain and misery whenever they entered. June Iparis, Republic’s prodigy, entered Drake at twelve, or was it thirteen? We met when she was fighting against Kaede, I remember how she bore an uncanny resemblance to a viper, moving with calculated movements, you could tell straightaway that she was a genius. Her intelligence could be spooky, but it was admirable, a part of it the reason why I fell for her, as if it were the most natural thing to do in the world. But if she truly wanted me dead, if she truly wanted by family dead, I swear to God I will rip her into pieces with my bare hands.

However, there was a part of me that felt as though those memories weren’t real, as though something else was controlling my mind, and I was trying to break free from it without knowing myself I was doing it.

“Don’t be silly,” A foreign force spoke into my mind. It didn’t literally speak into my mind, but it was just something forcing that feeling into my nerves, yet the aftermath was that I felt different, like my body wasn’t responding.

I checked my watch. Four pm. It was almost time, but I didn’t feel like meeting whoever I was supposed to meet. But then, my feet started moving without warning. There it goes again. Something is controlling my mind and body—ah! What was I thinking of again?

I step outside to find two men waiting. Four-oh-five pm, right on time. “Good evening, Mr Wing,” They said and I realised they bore the same mark—a crescent moon with a line across, and I have no idea why but it makes me think of that unique X on the door of my house.

“We will keep this short. I am Nick and this is Jasper,” Says the one on the left. He has dark hair with purple highlights and the one next to him has grey hair and eyes, not because of age. “We are from the Combatants and we welcome you to our army.”

“What? Who says I’m going to join you—“ Obey, a part of mind signals.

“You may still be confused now because the Alterer has just started taking effect. Soon, all your memories will be altered and you will be controlled by our systems, and join us—“

“Heavens! Jasper, will you ever learn to shut up?” Nick rages.

“Wha… What?” I stammer. “So I was right, June doesn’t want to kill me, it was a memory your ‘Combatants’ input?”

“Great, now see what you have done, Jasper,” Gestures Nick wildly. “Give me one of the Alterers!”

Obediently, Jasper hands over a contraption and Nick presses a button followed by a series of numbers. Bam! A wave hits me hard, so hard I feel like falling.

What was I thinking of again?

Nick hands me a sheet, like an X-ray film. “This is a mark of the Combatants, you know what to do.”

Without warning, my feet move and I walk back into my apartment’s bathroom, imprinting the mark onto my arm. Wait… why am I doing this? I try to stop myself, but I can’t, I can’t move my body, I’m like a robot at command.

“I am a Combatant,” I find myself saying, like a reminder, however unwilling it is.

Chapter 8

June’s perspective

“THERE’S A BOMB! Evacuate the Elector,” I alert the guards—dammit, aren’t they supposed to like do their job?

“Wha… what?” There was chaos as guards quickly surrounded the Elector and evacuated him from the room. A few guards helped Amethyst too after Anden insisted she needed help. I followed close behind the Elector as the bomb disposal unit made their way. Just then, a guy with dark hair and purple hairlights (not a common sight) guns down a few of Anden’s guards as I fire back, but he runs and I can’t chase him, that bastard who dons a Republic uniform as a disguise, because protecting the Elector is more important.

“Elector! I suggest you turn here, it’s much safer!” Suggests a man with grey hair and eyes, Captain Jasper James.

“Are you crazy, we should stick to the original plan—“ A soldier starts, but is stopped when the Elector willingly turns there. However calm he seems, Anden must be shocked, so he listens to his guards so willingly. But that turn leads to a dead end. The man with dark hair puts a gun to Anden’s head…

I swerve and hit him in the knees, shooting him. He moves just in time to get hit in not in the head, where I aimed, but his shoulder. He fires back but I dodge as Anden flees with the other guard, backup guards heading over to shield the Elector. Just then, he knocks me off balance, forcing the gun out of my hands. He pins me down, gun plastered to my forehead.

“You wretch—say goodbye.”

“Goodbye,” Someone behind him says and shoots him in the head and Jasper falls forward. I see who saved me.

Day.