Chapter 9

Day’s perspective

I drop the gun. Why… why am I here?

To save June.

But she killed my mother and brother!

“Day-- I mean Daniel—are you okay?” June looks at me, her eyes wide and beautiful.

No time for internal dialogue, there’s a bomb you idiot! I chide myself. But then, pain hits me and I yell, clutching my head and sinking to the ground.

“Day! Day! Are you alright?” June leans over me, concern written all over her face. Concern? But it looks genuine…

A memory flood my mind. I was half-conscious, and I was supposed to be dead. It was the day I was supposed to be killed by firing squad, when I was given the death sentence. June saved me.

“John, you know what you have to do,” June nods to my brother. What he has to do? John nods and takes the blindfold, running towards the firing squad. What?

I try to scream for John, but my body fails me and I let the darkness take over.

I open my eyes to find June yelling my name, but I yank her away and strangle her, holding her by the throat.

“You killed my brother! You asked him to hand himself over to the firing squad!” I yell, hoisting her up as she struggles to breathe, clawing at my hand on her throat.

“What..? No… tried… stop him… he… insisted… I… can’t help it…”

She’s innocent! Remember the Alterer? It’s fake, she didn’t do it! I tell myself and set her down.

The bomb.

I take her hand and pull her forward as we ran, but I can hear the beeping, even louder this time.

It’s too late.

I push her forward, pressing myself onto her as we fall onto the ground, shielding her body with mine. I feel heat radiating off her, as the explosions go off and bits and pieces bury themselves in my back, and I sink into the darkness.