Chapter 42-43

Hey guys, so I'm still going to write an epilogue (the epilogue happens a year later) and maybe I'll publish it tomorrow? There will be an author's note too, to thank all you awesome readers! ily!

Chapter 42

Day's perspective

"Day! Wait up!" I turn behind to see Nikolai. Nikolai just came from a debriefing, which I was invited to yet refused to go. I walk on the plains near the meeting centre. "I was looking for you."

"You? Let me guess, a snarky remark competition?" I wasn't used to that look on Nikolai's face. It wasn't exactly a smile, but his usual grimace was missing.

"Not everything about me is bad, Day."

"Cousin, did you drink some niceness potion, or get hit by a piano?"

Nikolai frowned. "Now you're the one being a jerk. I just wanted to give you some advice."

"So you admit you were a jerk!" I couldn't help exclaiming. It wasn't something you'd expect a Nikolai Chase to say. Or any Nikolai Chase. (Not that there were many). "I'm sorry. Shoot."

"Go to her."

"Who?"

"What are you? Dumb? June obviously!" He rolls his eyes.

"Huh?"

Nikolai did an exaggerated face palm. "Stop acting like that. Just go to June, and tell her how you feel."

"I already did that, and she made it clear pigs were going to fly before she started feeling the same way."

"I don't believe June Iparis said that. Quit exaggerating. And where exactly did you do that?"

"The hallway." I shrugged, indifferently.

"No. Take her out, buy her flowers, I mean something romantic. I think you must know something about girls."

"I strongly suspect you're just Amethyst putting on a Nikolai costume for a costume party after this."

Nikolai ignores this. "So..?"

"I'm not going to do it. And why are you so jumpy today?" I shrug, but Nikolai's mouth quirks up into a smile.

"Yeah right. And I don't know, birds singing, happy things--"

"Tess..." I continued for him, and we both grin. "So what, you're a couple now?"

Nikolai simply laughs, turning around to head home. Maybe Nikolai was right. Did I want June back? Sure I did. Just then, Tess bounds down.

"Have you seen Nikky?" Tess asks, grinning as broadly as Nikolai.

"He just left, and ew you guys. Nikky, seriously?"

Tess smiles sweetly. "June's seeing her brother tomorrow. You should go."

"You two ganged up!" I protest, and my smile fades. "Urm, did they find the... bodies?" There's no better way of phrasing it.

Tess nods. "By the river banks. Oh, I gotta run." She rushes forward, then cranes her neck backwards. "Good luck with June!" She calls.

Chapter 43

June's perspective

They found Metias after the war. And here he lies, peacefully yet disturbed. I squat down next to him.

"Metias, there are so many things I want to tell you, but I don't know how to say it. I hope you're still watching over me, the sister that's older than you now. You know, I never thought I would be older than you." I say. "Someday I'll tell you, a story of Day, the Republic, and me again. But not now, for I still need time. The war just ended." I trace my fingers over the paper clip ring from Day I hold.

"Antarctica and the Republic have found peace. Antarctica will still be watched over us, for they owe us now. We never thought we'd win them, but apparently we did." I smile. "Remember when you were captain of Los Angeles City Patrol 8? Nikolai Chase is the captain now. I can't say he's my friend, but in time, when I resume my position again after my leave, maybe we can learn to understand each other. But for me, you're always the captain."

"Nikolai's sister, Amethyst, is my friend though. She once told me that life is like a board game. After you live a life, it's like passing one round, so you go to the next, and no matter what, you get the same family, same friends, just that you don't realise it." I lean nearer. "So in the next life, you'll be my brother again, and I'll be your sister again." I stand up, smiling. "I'll always be your sister."

Maybe the Combatants took away his belongings, but some are found, and at least he's still here. He's in my mind, and in my heart, it would be impossible to force him out.

Like Day.

As if to confirm my thoughts, Day strolls over, with a bouquet of flowers.

"Hey," He says, setting the bouquet down. His eyes flicker to the paper clip ring in my hand. "You still have it."

I smile. "Of course I do. What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you. I have something to say-"

"Wait. Let me speak first. I know I've been pushing you away all this time, but I realised I can't do this anymore. I can't keep telling lies that are like knives to my heart at the mention of it. I can't keep saying no when my heart screams yes. I haven't forgotten you at all, Day." I say. I've been thinking for the entire night yesterday.

Day turns to me. "Me too. With the Alterer gone, I remember everything. Your favourite color, how you like your sunsets, what you love, but there's still more to learn."

"We can learn. We can mend."

"So you're giving me a chance?"

"Not a chance, Day. I'm giving you my heart." I step forward, encircling my arms around him and resting my head against his chest, hearing his heartbeat. The steady rhythm fills my ears.

"Mine was with you all this while," He replies, circling his own around me and resting his head on mine.

I crane my neck and reach up to kiss him gently. After I break away, Day sees something far away.

"Wow. Look at that." He breathes and I turn my head. In the distance, there are tiny explosions in the sky.

"Fireworks." I say, our arms still around each other.

So the boy on the streets and the girl who needed help stood like that for a while, watching the fireworks in the sky, like fallen angels rising again.

And at last, they were reunited.

ATTENTION, PLEASE READ:

UPDATE 18.12.2016: please check out The Hourglass: Deja Vu, my first original story! https://www.wattpad.com/story/92942315-the-hourglass-deja-vu-wattys2016

2014 Announcement

is anybody a shadowhunter? I'm going to write a shadowhunter story, RELEASED 29.6.2014. please support :) for more details, go to @.dystopianfiction on INSTAGRAM, where you can find teasers for my upcoming novel! Update: I deleted my Instagram page, sorry!

plot summary:

can you save the world in 29 days, even if it means sacrificing someone you love, turning him to something that's worse than death? parabatai aren't meant to love each other, but when it comes to the gorgeous ares herondale, some rules are meant to be broken.
chantelle carstairs doesn't know how to feel when ares commits suicide, and she's left alone, not able to trust the people who were family to her, after their betrayal. chantelle has to fight the greatest dark force ever to exist, physically and mentally, but will she be able to become the hero she was supposed to be?

Lots of love,
@dystopianfiction