Chp. 7

"So you've played softball all through high school and never once been with a girl?"

I watched Megan watch me, seeing annoyance cross her features as I continued to ask her inappropriate questions. I mean I was curious, that's all, and I wanted to know where her sexuality lied.

"Is that really your business?"

I shrugged, answering nonchalantly, "You seemed to have no problem asking me personal questions. So why can't I?"

"Because I'm your teacher."

"And I'm your student, so that's invalid."

She rolled her eyes as we continued to sit here staring at each other, wondering how we were going to go about this hour we had together, alone. She had also texted Shawn and kept her promise to keep the test and the grade incident a secret, as long as I complied. In a way it was unfair, because she was pretty much blackmailing me, but in another sense I kind of didn't mind.

And for some odd reason, I liked being alone with her.

She sighed, "Can we just talk about something else? Something neutral?"

I smirked, leaning forward on my desk that was now facing her, "The weather's nice."

"Okay, anything but that."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Do I have to answer?"

I smiled, nodding, "Yes."

She rolled her eyes at my cockiness and replied, "Then you have to do the same."

"Fine."

She shrugged, "Ask away."

I wanted to make it a good question, something that would answer what I've been dying to know, but I had to word it right. I couldn't just be like, Hey, are you a lesbian or not? I had to ask it in a sense to where her answer would give me the answer I needed, because I most likely had only one question.

So I tried to make it good, "What's your relationship with my brother?"

"We're friends."

I groaned, "That's not a good answer."

She shrugged as if she didn't even give one shit that I was let down, "I answered your question."

"But did you answer it honestly?"

"Why is it so hard for you to believe that we're just friends?"

I smiled, wondering if she was being serious and realizing she was, "Because you come over, a lot. You even had dinner with us once. I mean, you sound like more than a friend."

She nodded, "Ok, well then, Shawn and I are really good friends then."

"Is that code for something?"

She exhaled with annoyance, allowing her blue eyes to focus on mine, "Sam, why does it matter?"

"Does that count as your question?"

"No."

I wanted to say it didn't, but that would just bring up the first kind-of fight we had exchanged the night she picked me up from Jinx. I knew I needed to give a good reason though, but I also didn't want to make it about me, so I had to think of something quick.

"I don't want you to hurt Shawn, and I know he kind of likes you."

She sighed, "So you think I'm leading him on?"

I nodded, "I would say yes."

"Maybe I do like him, who knows."

This got my attention, which then led to me asking, "So you do like him more than a friend?"