Chp. 20

I watched Megan curiously as practice finished up, allowing me to wonder what exactly had happened today during her free period. She had allowed me back in without giving me a cold shoulder but had abruptly kicked me out. It was so confusing and exhilarating at the same time, I just couldn’t keep up.

Emma spoke, “Earth to Sam, you’re supposed to be helping me!”

I smiled, looking up at Emma who had grown impatient, “Sorry.”

I gave her another ball to hit off of the Tee, knowing we only had a few to hit and we would be released. I was nervous to go home, of course, but in the same breath I was also looking forward to it.

Emma spoke, “You haven’t told anyone… you know…”

I shook my head, “Nope, promised I would keep it a secret to protect your straight reputation, of course.”

She laughed, “Look, it’s not that I care what people think about my sex life or whatever, it’s just…”

“You don’t want them to know it’s with me.”

I gazed up at Emma, watching her react like someone who had been caught lying. I smirked, not allowing her to see that I was actually a bit hurt knowing that was the reason she wanted to hide it.

She looked at me, “Sam… you know it’s not like that…”

“It’s fine, really,” I lied, “You shouldn’t get caught up with me and all my bullshit. I understand.”

She swung the bat, hitting her last ball as I stood to begin gathering them. I was ready to go, and this talk had really bummed me out for some odd reason.

I helped her haul the things to the equipment shed as I watched Megan talk with Coach Lee, glancing over to me between her pauses. I smiled, as if nothing had happened today between us in her classroom, but she ignored me.

I continued helping Emma pick up as I realized we were one the last ones here. I glanced at Megan one last time before disappearing off the field and walking to my car. I knew I would see her tonight, and I was hoping there was food at the house because I was starving.

I drove off and towards the apartment, wondering how long Megan would give before heading home herself. I was nervous, I mean it was the first night we would be completely alone, but I didn’t know exactly what I was nervous for. I mean, she had stayed over countless nights, what was so different about this one?

I felt myself growing more and more anxious as I pulled into my garage, leaving it open and walking out into the cool evening. The sun had begun to set as I pulled my cigarettes out and lit one up between my lips.

I breathed in, feeling some of the edge I was feeling go away, and I waited for Megan as I contemplated how I was going to go about tonight. Today had been a weird day when I had left her classroom, and she had managed to ignore me the entire practice.