Chp. 45

As excited as I was about meeting Megan's family, I was also extremely nervous in the same sense. I didn't know what to expect, I didn't know how they would react, but it was scary knowing I would be walking into completely new territory.

I was just honestly excited to see Megan since it was the first week of winter break and we didn't have school.

I had managed to dress semi presentable, good jeans, a good sweater, and of course my famous ankle-high black boots. I didn't want to seem young, which had led me to rummaging through my closet for what felt like hours. I wanted to impress Megan, and I wanted her to look at me like her equal and not her student.

Which I'm pretty positive she already did but that was beside the point.

I heard Shawn call from the kitchen, "Sam let's go."

I hurried to my night stand, grabbing the tiny box that held Megan's birthday present. It wasn't anything special, just a coffee mug which had cost me all but ten bucks, but it was something that held a lot of meaning to me. It reminded me of all the mornings we had coffee together, and maybe it would do that for her too.

And the quote on it was too funny not to get it for her.

I followed him to the car and we climbed in, eventually pulling out of the garage and onto the road. Shawn looked at me, "I'm surprised she invited you."

I looked at him, wondering why he was so surprised, "Why?"

He shrugged, "I don't know, I just got the vibe that you two didn't really like each other."

I leaned back in my seat and nodded, "I mean, she's not my favorite person but, I have nothing else to do because I'm grounded so... might as well get out the house."

He spoke, "Don't do anything stupid here okay? I know you don't like Megan all that much but... it is her birthday."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm not immature Shawn, I know my manners."

He just looked at me as he returned his focus to the road as we made the trek to Megan's grandfather's house. I was anxious to see him and his wife, who according to Megan was a total bitch gold-digger that was mooching off of him.

And according to Megan she was believed to be the reason her grandfather couldn't loan her the twenty-thousand dollars to pay off her debt.

So I was pretty excited to meet the evil step-grandmother.

Then Shawn's phone rang out, and he looked at me, "Can you get that? It might be a text from Megan."

I slid his phone opened and saw a text from Megan, reading, "Are you and Sam on the way?"

I typed quickly, "Yes, oh and Happy 30th Birthday, bitch. –Love Sam"

She responded almost instantaneously, "That joke is still not funny Sam, and thank you."

I smiled to myself as I deleted the texts and returned my focus to the road. I wanted to be there already, and I knew it was because I wanted to see Megan. It had been a few days since I had seen her and it sucked, I really hated not being able to talk to her.

But that would soon change again when I would return helping her with the softball team as soon as we got back from winter break.

And I still wasn't sure if I was actually excited about it or not.

The miles continued on as we made it out of our town's city limits and into a neighboring city that was smaller than ours. I was ready to be there and see Megan and give her the present I had gotten her.