Chp. 50

“Holy shit, you were going to tell her the truth?”

I nodded, leaning back in my chair as I picked at my fingers, “Yep, and of course something was there to ruin it, and it just so happened to be Nikki.”

Blair’s green eyes studied me, “And how do you feel about that?”

I looked at her, “Seriously? Blair I was so fucking pissed, but to be honest, I was more pissed at Megan than anything. She had told me she had closure with Nikki, that she was done with her and then the fucking night I go to tell her the truth Nikki’s there? I was livid.”

Blair dropped her hands, shaking her head, “Well maybe there’s a logical explanation… I think you should try again-”

“No,” I interrupted, “I’m not trying anything anymore. I’m done.”

I had cried all night Friday, but Saturday and Sunday I had refused myself, allowing me to build up strength to face Megan today. I was calloused again, completely solid, and I was grateful for all those years I had to cover up so much pain for making me that way. Megan wasn’t going to see any emotion in me, no one was, I was done caring for people and I was done trying to be “the better person”.

I was done trying to change myself for everyone else when no one gave a shit about me in the first place.

Blair sighed, “You think she’s gonna try talking to you?”

I nodded, “Yea, I know she will, and she’s gonna get a rude awakening. She has no right to talk to me anymore.”

Bair continued, “Sam… she didn’t know you were gonna show up at her house. You can’t blame her-”

“I blame her for letting that fucking bitch back into her life the night I let myself become vulnerable to her,” I balled my fist and clenched my jaw, feeling the anger rush through me.

The bell rang and I stood, slinging my booksack over my shoulder and taking my place next to Blair. The last thing I wanted to do was see Megan but I knew I would have to, but I knew I was prepared.

Then Blair mumbled, “But Sam, you sound like she cheated on you or something, like you two were already dating.”

I rolled my eyes, “Blair, shut up.”

She just looked at me, “What?”

I groaned, “She promised me Nikki was out of her life. I stopped smoking and drinking, I took a punishment for her! She fucking got me grounded for no reason, I stole a fucking twenty-thousand dollar check for her and then this happens? I fucking did so much for that cunt and then Friday night happened, so excuse me for actually expressing my pain for once, Blair.”

She just stared up at me, nodding, “Alright Sam, I’m sorry. I’ll see you later.”