Dependent - Stephen Tries

"Curse my thirst for knowledge" I muttered closing my laptop and tapping my nails against the tabletop. I had been sat in this coffee shop for the better half of the afternoon and I had barely made a dent in the final paper I was writing. I had gone through at least three coffees by now, but I had honestly lost count.

I stood up to get another for the ride back to my flat.

"I'll have a double espresso vanilla latte please." I ordered. The barista nodded and went to make my drink. He was quite used to me being here by now and had become a master at making my favorite drinks.

"I'm going to have our new guy make your drink, it's his first time though, don't be too hard on him." I smiled and said that it was fine.

The boy came around to the coffee station and the usual barista overlooked him. I couldn't help but watch myself, not because of the coffee but because of the guy making it.

He was a very cute ginger with a nice haircut and a very pretty smile.

After he had made my coffee - and I snapped out of my weird trance - I paid for it and tried it. I closed my eyes as the taste entered my mouth.

"This is amazing." I complimented him. He smiled at me.

"Thank you. James told me you were really picky so I was sweating buckets back here while you took a drink." I laughed, thanking him again before sitting back at my seat.

For the rest of the afternoon I typed and retyped, finally finishing my paper. I opened my phone to check the time: 4:47. I closed the lid of my laptop and tucked it away in my purse.

I got up and said my goodbye to James, exiting the door and beginning my short walk to my flat.

"Wait!" I heard called from being me.

It was the cute ginger running towards me, apparently carrying something in his hand. "You left your phone." He said slightly out of breath.

"Oh my gosh, thank you..." I realized then that I didn't know this boys name.

"Stephen. And your name is?"

"Y/n. You'll definitely see me again if you stay at the coffee shop. It's my favorite."

"I look forward to it." He smiles and headed back to work.

———

"The usual?" Stephen asked as the bell chimed as I came in rather late in the evening. The place was quite silent and as I looked around I noticed that it was only Stephen and I here.

"Yes please." I sat at the bar and watched him make my coffee. It had been a good few months since the first time we had met and we had become quite closely acquainted now.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I asked as a silence fell over us.

"I'm worried about your coffee dependency love." I smiled as he called me 'love' and thanked him for my drink. "I'm serious." I looked up at him to see him staring at me.

"You're part of the problem." I said softly.

"How's that?"

"I wouldn't be in here as often if I didn't have a huge crush on the barista." He smiled, slightly looking down at the counter. It was silent for a few moments and he looked up to me, then left to right, leaning his head in and kissing me softly. His hand caressed my cheeks as our lips moved together.

"Would you like to go out on a date with me?" He asked as our lips finally parted.

"I'd love to. Preferably not a coffee shop." He laughed and kissed me again.

"Let's grab a bite to eat. I can close down early."

"Sounds perfect."