The One Where He Marries Her

It was horrible

   It was horrible. The whole day at the spa with her cousins, Jannat had to go through various procedures. From waxing hair from the parts she didn't even know hair were waxed to tweezing her brows. The manicure and pedicures were relaxing but she was absolutely bored. The various hair treatments, the woman putting masks on her face to brighten her up for the big day annoyed her.

Then came the most painful thing. The lingerie shopping. Granted, doing all this on the wedding day was stupid but everything had been so fast that they didn't have time to do it earlier.

Jannat was painfully shy when her cousins dragged her in. Remembering the one time she had come into this store made her wince. God, what was she thinking?

When her cousins gave her things to try on, she refused. She would never wear something like that!

"Why are we even buying this. I can just wear my normal ones under the lehnga. " , she said exasperated.

Her cousins who were mostly older and married looked at her, deadpanning.

"Jannat, we are buying this for the wedding night, not for wearing underneath the lehnga! ", Hina who was her real mother's sister's daughter said.

Jannat's mouth opened and then closed like a fish.

"What?"

"Wait a minute, you don't know what happens on the wedding night?

Jannat paled.

"What happens?"

"Do you know how babies are made?"

"..Yes. But it's still years for that happen. I am too young to have a baby!"

All her cousins blinked at once. They could not believe that Jannat didn't know it. Then they understand why her Ammi had asked them to shop for her and explain to her everything.

Jannat's heart palpitated. What happens on the wedding night? Well, of course Ibraheem would kiss her and they would sleep together, maybe hugging eachother.

"Uh. Let's not spoil the fun for Ibraheem then. You just wear it on your wedding under your lehnga. Okay?"

Jannat opened her mouth,

"What do you mean? Will he see me in this?", she remembered when she had gone in front of him that one night. That was that damned alcohol. She wanted to bury herself in the ground when she thought of that.

"Oh, honey...Just do what we say, okay?"

Her cousins continued, pulling her to different sections and now putting more scandalous pieces into the basket.

/////////

   In the salon, Jannat sat still while various makeup artists buzzed around her, one setting her hair, one doing her lipstick and the other putting on more highlighter

In the salon, Jannat sat still while various makeup artists buzzed around her, one setting her hair, one doing her lipstick and the other putting on more highlighter. Despite everything, her look was still somewhat natural, just the bold lipstick and the heavy shadowed eyes catching attention.

Since the morning, everyone has been calling her bhabi.

Everyone.

The first time she had blushed because Ibraheem had been sitting next to her at the breakfast, the second time she had glared at Haris because he said that in front of her father and the third time she had nearly whacked Omar on the head when he looked at her while raising his brows.

Then, Dua handed her the clutch to go with her dress,

"Bhabiii! Here's your clutch."

Jannat looked at her weirdly, her heavily lined eyes taking in Dua, her face, her hair , her clothes.

Taking her had in her own which was still empty of any jewellery, Jannat said,

"Agar dubara bhabi kaha tau maar dun gi. Tum meri behn zyada ho, unki nahi."

(If you ever call me sister-in-law again, I'll kill you. You are my sister, not his.)

Both sisters looked at each other, their eyes welling up and then loud sobs started as they both fell and sat down on the floor while hugging each other. Above them, the make up artists were tearing their hair out.

////////

   Among the bands playing gay tunes, men doing bhangra while older men laughed and notes of money raining above them, Ibraheem Ahmed came to marry Jannat Shehzad.

Sitting on the stage, the photoshoots, the food they couldn't eat, the nikkah, tearful rukhsati and car ride back home was all a blur. Within no time, the bride was home.

Jannat sat on the sofa in the drawing room where various traditions were followed. The eating of sweets, the doodh pilai and everything else finished leaving Jannat absolutely tired.

Every thing was beautiful but Jannat was the most beautiful thing the entire evening, even the moon bowed down before her grace. The large earrings, the exquisite jewellery and the gorgeous designer dress wrapped her to present the elysian blushing bride.

Ibraheem hadn't spoken one sweet word to her. Nothing. And she was nervous, her heart thumping.

  "Haye Ibraheem, I am waiting for grandchildren. How long will you make me wait?"

Ibraheem eyed his mother, dressed in the sherwani and his grown beard, he looked very much like a jubilant groom.

"I just got married,Ammi. Did you want grandchildren before I even got married?" ,he teased his mother.

Her mother slapped him lightly,
"Chalo! Badtameez."
(Stop! you ill-mannered.)

Omar who sat close to Ibraheem spoke up,

" Khaala, Ibraheem tau wesay bhi budha hogya hai. Thori hi dair bachi hai iskay paas. Issay tau aaj hi koshish shuru karni paraygi!"

(Aunty, Ibraheem is already so old. He has only some time left now. I think he should start trying for children from tonight!)

His mother started laughing.
"Badtameez hain sab k sab! Allah maaf karay."

(Everyone is so ill-mannered! Uff!)

///////////////

Ah. I am sorry I couldn't write the whole nikkah and everything. Maybe I will when I edit this but not now.

I hope you liked it even though it didn't have much Ibraheem 😂.

I want to thank all of you beautiful readers and special thanks to all the people who vote and comment! Your comments make my day!

Excited for the next one? What will happen?

//////