The One Where He Picks Her Up

///////

///////

     A week had passed since their marriage and Jannat was the happiest she had ever been. Everything felt like normal, like how it used to be. The guests were gone, Ibraheem was at the office and she had stopped wearing those awfully fancy dresses she was supposed to wear to dawats. (parties/ dinners)

In a magenta coloured shalwar kameez with orange embroidery, she sat on the carpet with a bowl of popcorn below her parents who sat the couch as they watched a cricket match.

All of them were so engrossed in the match that no one noticed a tired Ibraheem coming inside the living room.

"Assalam o Alaikum", He said but no one replied.

He watched as Jannat placed a popcorn in her mouth and then tapped his mother on her leg, enthusiastically saying,

"Shahid Afridi aagaya! "
(Shahid Afridi is here!)

His nose twitched. No one even noticed him and here people were getting excited over Shahid Afridi!

His mother looked at him suddenly, saying

"Lo Ibraheem aagaya. Jao fresh hojao. Khaana table par rakha hai. Hum match dekh lain."

(Oh Ibraheem is here. Go on, freshen up. The dinner is on the table. Let us watch the match.)

He shook his head and she immediately turned to look at the TV and Jannat looked at him and nodded, dismissing him with one glance.

His jaw clenched as his lips moved.

She was his wife! She was supposed to welcome him, then help him freshen up, maybe kiss him then tell him how much she missed him. Looks like he had to shift back to his apartment very soon.

"Jannat, idhr aana."
(Jannat, come here)

She turned to look at him, large eyes reflecting the blue lights of the TV and the crowd roaring as she pushed her bottom lip out.

"Please ! It's Shahid Afridi!"

Shahid Afridi, Shahid afridi, Shahid Afridi! Why was everyone mad about him?

He glared at her, his head shaking as he held the laptop bag in his hand.

"Ab meri beti ko zyada aankhein na dikhao. Chalo jao! Shaadi kar k zyada roab na jhaaro!

(Now don't you glare at my daughter! Go! Don't try to show dominance now that you are married!)

His glare turned towards his mother when she spoke up. Clutching his bag tightly, he murmured and walked away.

"Shaadi karnay ka faida? Meri biwi ko apnay paas bitha liya hai. Koi roab hi nai rehnay diya!"

(What's the point of marriage? Keeping my wife with them like she's theirs! No respect whatsoever!)