The One Where She Misses

قسمت برلدی ویکھی میں    میں رب بدلدا ویکھیا       

    میں رب بدلدا ویکھیا       

   //////

Amongst the chattering in the living room, the sweet smelling lilies and the lavender flowers, the crystal chandelier illuminating the entire room, Jannat sat with her mother on the sofa while the whole family and her cousins occupied various seats.

  Now her hair entirely covering her neck and her dupatta placed very strategically, Jannat listened as everyone talked about the Walima. They were supposed to be at the farmhouse at six and not be late. 

How strange was it that she felt like she was getting ready for someone else's wedding since the people around her were same. She couldn't even imagine how a new bride would feel. She had felt the awkwardness and the shyness but thank God, there were no mew people she had to be introduced to, she hadn't needed to act like the proper 'bahu'.

She felt sad from within. Extremely sad that she cried in the bathroom when she missed her parents. She hadn't even known them but she had heard how loving her mother was and how her father used to kiss her face every ten minutes. And how they used to love each other. The sadness rooted to her soul and reflected by her eyes.

When Ibraheem came down, his feet tapping against the rounded stairs and a laptop bag in his hand, his father spoke up.

"Where are you going?".

Ibraheem came close to them, and stood tall, looming over them.

"A very important thing came up. I'll be back in a couple of hours. "

His mother shook her head at him, "Ibraheem."

He convinced them to let him go, all the while Jannat talked to Hoorain, trying to ignore his presence.

"Beta, go see him out."

Ibraheem hid a smirk as Jannat's eyebrows raised and she stood up quietly following him as the snickers echoed in the living room.

With tiny measured steps, she followed him to the porch, her eyes masked by her fluttering lashes, her ivory skin shimmering as the sunlight illuminated it, the red of her lips darkened due to her nervous teeth biting them.

When he stepped down to the porch and looked at her expectantly, she lowered her lashes, covering her head with her dupatta abruptly when he said,

"Jaun ab? (Should I go now?)

She nodded, immediately turning around, her chest heaving with nervousness.

His eyebrows furrowed at her strange reaction, the sun shining in his eyes as he said,