The One Where He Kisses Her

With her maroon lehnga spread around her on the ivory bedspread with golden tilla, tendrils of hair caressing her face as  the heavy dupatta on her head covered half of her face, the golden heavy trim a contrast against her dark lips

With her maroon lehnga spread around her on the ivory bedspread with golden tilla, tendrils of hair caressing her face as  the heavy dupatta on her head covered half of her face, the golden heavy trim a contrast against her dark lips. The sweet smell of flowers around the room and the warm glow of the candles flickering surrounded her.

  When the door opened and he entered, she lowered her head more even though she could not even see him.

When the bed dipped as he sat down and raised her pallu,her eyes raised to look at him, the brown in them swirled with gold.

His eyes roamed over her face, taking in every detail.

"You look stunning",he said.

Tilting her eyes to the left, she said meekly,

"Thank you."

When he kept looking at her, the dark in his eyes darkening more and edge of his mouth tilting upwards, she said,

"Kya?" (What?)

Then he picked up a black jewellery box she hadn't noticed before and opened it, revealing a set of heavily stoned and intricately designed bangles.

"For you."

She nodded and when he held her hands, her heart palpitated.

Slowly slipping the bangles to her wrist, he never left her hands.

In the utter silence of the night, the sounds of the owls outside the windows, the moonlight whispering and the stars giggling as the bride said,

"Can I change now?"

His eyebrows raised. She was quick.

Nodding, he said,
"Sure."

She moved to stand up, then sat down again,

" Ab hum so jayein gey na?" (Now we will sleep, right?)

she asked with eyes tired and her arms hanging by her side.

His brows furrowed as he tried to understand her and nodded.

"Phir mai apnay kamray mai so jaoun? Yahan neend nahi aaye gi."

(Then can I sleep in my own room? I won't be able to sleep here.)

He laughed, his hair in a quiff, his eyes reflecting the moon.