020

❝ have we ever spared time to think ofa villain's past: an untold, cruel entity,enough to damage one's heart as a whole? ❞

a villain's past: an untold, cruel entity,
enough to damage one's heart as a
whole? ❞

-Chapter 49, The Sweetest Contempt, by yeonnieong

--

ONG RAEYEON

"A what?" Raeyeon blurted out, her mouth agape.

A part of her was confused on what sort of assassin Jihoon was talking about, and another part of her was completely struck by how her brother could end up as a person sent to kill. An assassin? His dream was always to become a police officer, how did he end up as an opposite?

"The vampire assassins that flooded in our forest, killed the kings and queens, almost killed hundreds of us," Daniel said. "h-her brother...is one of them?"

Jihoon nodded, and Raeyeon's shoulders dropped.

Her eyes somehow searched for Woojin's, but that didn't make her feel better at all. Instead, she was met with his eyes of fear, and disbelief. She felt extremely terrible and sick. Ong Seongwoo, the guy who she'd once built blanket fortnight with, the guy who once told her that he was going to end up as a police who'd protect their family from evil, the brother she once looked up to. But that was all years ago, before he left without a word, right when their family needed support the most. Right when the Ongs lost their father.

"That can't be," said Woojin. "he was so nice to me. And if he was a part of the assassins, then I would've been dead right when we met. He's never showed a sign of attack or anything."

"An assassin can not attack when their identity is exposed." said Jihoon. "Written clearly in a book called Beware Of The Enemies, assassins tend to attack with different masks each time, and none of their identities are clear. It's illustrated that they wear masks of different animals, and I could now understand, that they didn't want us, vampires, to know that they were actually humans."

Raeyeon's hands were trembling.

"I...don't believe you." she said softly. "I'm sorry. It's just- my brother..he can't do such a thing. I mean, does he even know about vampires' existence-"

"Ask him for yourself." said Jihoon. "I can't access his mind."

Another hand reached for hers, grasping it gently. "I'll...um- I'll come with you. Tomorrow. No need to go the cafe all alone." said Woojin, an awkward smile that tried to comfort her flashing with his lips, as he tried his best to calm her down.

From the corner of her eyes, she saw Jihoon smile. It wasn't a cunning smile. Instead, he smiled rather genuinely, a tint of sadness in his eyes as he watched Woojin's actions.