Chapter 19: Real Life Nightmares

(Sophia)

The diamonds are just like Ray's eyes. So sparkly and so beautiful. I can't stop staring at the bracelet, and the beauty of it. And the fact that they connect our two names together to say Ray loves Sophia or Sophia loves Ray really is the cherry on the top. 

I can't imagine any better gift from someone other than a bracelet like this. I know it may seem small, but the best things come in the small packages. I've been wearing it nonstop, and I just want to flaunt it for the whole world to see. And the fact that it goes so well with the locket that my grandfather gave me makes things so much better.

My grandfather gave me this locket when I was thirteen. It was tradition. It was actually from my Greek grandmother, but the tradition was that the grandfather was to give the necklace to their first granddaughter. And I couldn't be more thankful. Not only for the bracelet, but for the locket as well.

"You really love that bracelet, don't you?" a voice says. Anthony is standing at my door, with pure happiness on his face when he sees that I'm truly happy. 

"I really do, Anthony. It's beautiful," I say. Anthony smiles. 

"Ray's actions are starting to convince me not to kick his ass," Anthony says. I roll my eyes. 

"You better not. I want him to stay unharmed for my sake, Anthony," I say, and Anthony just scoffs and walks to his room. Just then, a loud ringtone fills the air. I am startled for a second, then realize that it's my own phone. I go to my bed, pick up the phone, and answer the call.

"Hello," I say. 

"Good morning. Is this Sophia Smith?" the caller asks. 

"This is she. Can I ask who's calling?" I ask. 

"Before that, I want to ask you this. Do you know somebody by the name of Raymond Richards?" the caller asks. Somehow, just by the tone of her voice, I can tell something is horribly wrong.  

"I do. He's my boyfriend. Is everything alright?" I ask, unaware of the truth. The caller sighs. 

"You were one of his contacts on his emergency list. I'm sorry to have to tell you he was in a car accident earlier today," the caller says. My jaw drops open at the news

"He WHAT?! Where is he?" I yell frantically. All I can do is scream out of shock. 

"He is at St. Nicholas hospital. We advise you to come immediately," the caller said. 

"I'll be there as soon as possible. Thank you," I say, and drop my phone. My heart is jump-roping inside my chest at this moment.

"Anthony, get your keys. We need to go to St. Nicholas hospital right away! Ray's been in a car accident!" I yell frantically. I am having a total panic attack. My boyfriend's in a car accident, and he's in the hospital because of it. How can I not lose it? Anthony's door swings open and he runs inside my room as I'm panicking. As I'm running around, he grabs me by the arms and plants his hands on my shoulders.  

"Sophia, calm down. We'll make it in time. Don't worry," Anthony assures me. I take a deep breath, and I run out of my bedroom. "Slow down! I have to get the keys!" he calls after me. I don't care what he's saying. I just need to get in the car. 

When I get there and find out which room Ray is in, I run there faster than I ever thought I could. I don't even think I run relay races that fast. Once I get there, I see Mrs. and Mr. Richards and Randy all by the door, crying.

"Mrs. Richards!" I call out. She looks up, with tears streaking her face, and sees me.

 "Sophia! You're here! Thank gosh!" she says, and I run into her arms in a bone crushing hug.