Chapter 47: Prep Time

(Victoria)

Back when I was in the 7th grade, I used to dream of Ray and I being together. I had some dreams where I felt sad waking up, because of the fact that they were so good that I didn't want them to end. Now, as a senior in high school, my dreams are just filled with pure negativity.

Most of my dreams now are haunted with the sound of my parents' constant fighting. I can't sleep at night because of it. It's something that constantly haunts me, for all that I can remember.

Lisa and I have been working on the big mission for a while. She's planted a few things here and there, and she says that she's got a few things up her sleeve. For now, I don't know what she plans to do.

On top of that, my parents have just plain out stopped talking to each other. They still do all the housework, and they interact on a daily basis, but their verbal interaction is limited. They just kind of give each other the stink eye, and continue with their day.

I know they're trying to stay together until I leave for college. But, they're trying hard to keep ties somewhat present for David and I.

Honestly, I can tell that it's not doing them any good. But, what can I do? All I can do is wait for them to finally realize the pain that it's bringing all of us. Hopefully, it'll be soon enough.

Senior year is coming close to an end. Prom is right around the corner. Honestly, I don't know if I should be happy or confused. I've been dreaming of prom all my life, after watching a lot of high school movies. When I was a freshman, I would dream of Ray asking me to be my date, and everything would be unicorns and rainbows.

Now, as a senior, I don't even know what to do. A part of me still wants Ray to ask me to be his prom date, but at the same time, I remind myself to move on. Even when I said that I had moved on from Ray, it was still a partial lie. Somehow, I don't think I'll ever get over him 100%. It's something that I'll have to probably live with for a while.

On top of that, I don't even know if I should ask Lisa to be my date. I'm doubting our relationship so much at this point. There's still a part of my heart that she's held on to, and she refuses to give it back. I'm not going to deny that.

But at the same time, thoughts have been filling my head. Do I regret doing this? Should I just not listen to her and back out? I don't even know at this point. I'm so confused.

"How's it going, Victoria?" David asks, as he walks by my room. My eyes refuse to move from being fixated on the ceiling.

"I don't even know anymore, David. My life is like a huge mess. It's like the time you tried to make cinnamon rolls and the whole kitchen turned into a mess. My life is like that," I say. David chuckles a little bit.

"I remember that. Mom wasn't happy. And yes, I know our lives are less than ideal. A lot less than ideal. But, try your best to keep a smile on your face. We both know that it's all going to be okay," he says. I shoot up from lying down on my bed.

"David, how do you know that? I have parents who are at a point where they can't even have a basic conversation with each other without fighting. We found that our dad was a cheating prick who cheated on Mom when he had a son and she was pregnant with me," I say, but David raises his hand to cut me off.

"Woah. Don't insult Dad like that. He may have done that to Mom, but he's still our Dad, no matter what. We shouldn't forget what he did for us for all those years," he says. I smile.

"David, you've got the biggest heart out there, but I can't get over what he did. He left you, as a kid, to go screw some other chick. Who knows how long that affair lasted for? And he had a child with her, and he didn't even take care of him or acknowledge him. He lied to Mom about it. Who knows what else he lied about? I don't even know what to consider him anymore," I say. David sighs.