Chapter 31: Turbulence

This was like a track and field competition. You had to conquer things one hurdle at a time. I had passed the first hurdle. Telling the person I had a crush on was hard enough. Now it was time to tell my parents. After jumping that hurdle, I could finally cross the finish line and win the competition. 

My parents had always imagined me falling in love with a wonderful guy and having a happy life. Of course, they would say that it wasn't possible without being successful. Or something to that effect. I was fearing that this would kind of disappoint them in a way. David wouldn't care. 

He would applaud me for being so open about this. He was the least of my worries when it came to this. But now, the real task began. Once I got off the phone with Lisa, I went into the living room. My mom was sitting there, reading a book. My dad was sitting in the chair next to her, checking his emails on his phone. 

I take a deep breath. "Mom, Dad. I need to talk to you about something," I say. My mom looks up from her book. "What is it, Victoria?" my mom asks. I sigh. "This is pretty important. I should get David in here too," I say. My mom turns her head. "David! Come here. Victoria has something to tell us!" my mom yells. David comes in.

"I'm here. What did you want to tell us, Victoria?" David says. I exhale deeply. Somehow, I just want to crumple inside and just release everything. The glue that's holding me together is wearing away. I try to stand strong and to tell them everything.

 "Mom, Dad, David. I think I'm bisexual," I say in one breath. I stand there, waiting for the worst possible outcome. I hope I wasn't too blunt with my answer. My mom is just standing there with a blank look on her face. 

My dad has a slightly shocked look on his face. David is just standing there with a surprised, but slightly satisfied look on his face. My mom smiles. "Oh Victoria. I'm so proud of you," my mom says. Wait, am I dreaming? Did she just say that she's proud of me? No seriously, am I dreaming? She actually said she was proud of me. 

"You're proud of me, Mom?" I ask. My mom smiles and nods. "I am. It takes lots of courage for someone to admit this, Victoria. So good on you," my mom says. I smile. My dad smiles too. 

"Great job on admitting this, Victoria. Admitting your sexuality isn't something easy. We support you in every way possible. Honestly. We support you," my dad says. I smile, then turn to David. "David?" I ask. He doesn't say anything. He just comes up to me and hugs me tightly. "You're growing up, Victoria. Wow," he says. 

My parents join in on the hug, and it stays that way for a few moments . We haven't felt this much at peace for a while. It's been rocky for a bit. But this feels like an escape from reality. But I know it won't last for long. My parents break the hug, and my mom goes back to reading. 

"I'll get back to reading," David says, and goes back to his room. I start walking back to my room, and then I throw myself on the bed. It feels so good to let everything out. I felt like a weight has been on my shoulders for the past few days. But now, everything's been let loose. I feel at peace again. But not for long. While I'm relaxing in my bed, I can hear my mom and dad talking. 

"She's growing up so fast, isn't she?" I can hear my dad say faintly. I get up from my bed and tiptoe to the end of the hallway. "She really is. It makes me cry sometimes," my mom says. My dad opens the dishwasher and grabs a glass for water. "Oh Caitlin. I'm also going out for a dinner today with my colleagues," my dad tells my mom. My mom sighs. "Ok Steven. Just don't drink too much and be careful," my mom says. My dad puts the glass in the dishwasher. 

"Can't you trust me?" my dad asks. He sounds really annoyed at this point. My mom closes the dishwasher. "How can I trust you after what happened 20 years ago?" she demands. I can practically sense the heat in the argument. 

" I've already apologized! What more can I do?" my dad yells. Things escalated really fast. But sadly, that's not a surprise. My mom scoffs. "You really think an apology is enough? You don't know how much you hurt me! And you think a simple apology will suffice?" my mom yells. My dad sighs. 

"Look, I am sorry. I made a mistake. How many times do I have to tell you that?" my dad says. 

"Sorry doesn't make up for what you did, Steven. You're lucky I didn't leave you. And I wasn't mad about the whole thing. I was mad about what came out of it! You were so irresponsible! And you chose to have me find out in the worst way possible! Do you know how horrible that was? And you think a simple 'sorry' is enough?" my mom demands. 

My dad sighs. "You know what? I've apologized too many times. You think what you want to," my dad says. I go back to my room and lie back on my bed. They've always had the same argument. It's always been about what happened 20 years ago. 

My parents aren't happy, and it sucks. If they aren't happy, then they should honestly just divorce. Because I know they're staying for us, and the only reason my mom didn't leave my dad 20 years ago was because of David. 

But I don't know how much longer this will last. Because the unhappiness is starting to become infectious. But what did my dad even do twenty years ago?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*sips the hot tea* Well, that was- wait, tea? Give me a second. *puts tea cup on the table and grabs cup of hot coffee* That's better. *takes a sip* I don't even like tea. That was pretty intense.  What do you guys think happened twenty years ago? Let me know in the comments. 

Hey everyone! Sneaky chapter, am I right? The next few chapters are going to be EXPLODING with drama, so fair warning. I think you guys will like it, because it's going to be awesome. I'm just going to sit back and watch the drama explode from all corners haha. Well that's pretty much it. Hope you all enjoyed the chapter!

Please vote/comment/share/follow/message if you like my work! See you all next Sunday with a new chapter of I Never Imagined! Have a great week! 

Love you guys, 

S.V.T.S.