Chapter Three - Part Three

Phoenix looked up at her, startled. The weird look on his face disappeared as he cleared his throat, placing his hands in his pockets. "Sorry about that."

With a glare continuously being held on Phoenix, the two of them made their way over to the table where her mother pulled out chairs for them.

"Come, sit down you two," her mother mentioned with a sudden smile shown on her face. "Summer, this might be good for you to hear also."

Winter sat down to the left of her mother, the screeching sound appearing again when she scooted her chair forward, with Summer sitting next to her on the right. Phoenix sat across from them with his hands folded together on the table.

"So, tell me Phoenix, what information do you need with the crops, this time?"

He sat up straight and grinned for a few seconds before he spoke. "Well, as I'm sure you know, we're running low on resources. I was sent here to renew our contract and possibly discuss increasing the yield that we could receive?" He cleared his throat, placing his hands on the table. "But, in all honesty, I guess that's an excuse. I wanted to tell you my condolences. Fredrick will be dearly missed."

The Queen gave him a warm smile.

Winter blinked a few times, wanting to make sure that's exactly what she saw. That look rarely came from her mother.

"That's very nice of you, Phoenix. We definitely appreciate the sympathy in this hard time. I know you haven't been to Goldenfordge too often, and when you were, it was just to help us out. I have important matters to speak with you about Winter and the possibility of a curse first though. You do remember the situation the King and I told you about when Winter was about six years old, right?"

"Of course. Did you find something on it?"

"I wish we did. It's about time if we know it's true or not."

Winter spoke up, "Mother, I have powers. It can't be true!"

Her mother turned towards her. "Yes, you do, but we also don't know what kind of curse it could be. Do you know anything about it, Phoenix?"

He frowned briefly before shaking his head. "Sadly, I don't, but if I find out anything I'll be sure to let you know!"

Her mother looked pleased before taking a deep breath, interlacing her fingers as she sat up straight. The look on her face was weird.

Winter didn't like it at all. Why would she be happy about not finding information on her daughter's curse?

"Thank you, Phoenix. I appreciate you informing me if you do find something." Her gaze shifted from Winter's to Phoenix. "Now, there's another matter we should discuss. Before the King died, the two of us were discussing the idea of her marriage."

Winter's eyes widened. She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came.

"Marriage?" Summer accidentally blurted out. "How come we didn't know about this, Mother?"

Their mother's gaze sharpened towards Summer. "Well, for one thing, it doesn't concern you, darling." She cleared her throat. "And two, we hadn't made it official yet. But since we're on the topic now..."

Mother and Phoenix stared at each other for a few moments, then she spoke again. "Winter is of the age to get married now and I know I've mentioned this once before. The King always disagreed, but no matter what, I still think it's a good idea." Silence overtook them all for a brief moment before she continued on, "How about you and Winter spend some quality time together? You are valuable to this kingdom Phoenix. A liason, if you will, between us and Lost Meadow. It would certainly be beneficial for everyone. And, not only that, but the King and I both trust you with our daughter."

At this, Winter felt her entire life fall apart. Out of all people, her mother chose Phoenix. She wanted to at least have a choice!

Silence fell through the room as soon as the Queen finished speaking. Winter's heart sank to the bottom of her stomach before her entire body was filled with anger. How dare she do this?

"You can't be serious! I am not marrying him!"

Mother's eyes stared back into hers. She already knew no matter what she said, the plan was already in action. What choice did she have? There was none. This was the only option.

"Would you rather we send you off to marry someone that none of us know? I'm only doing the best I can to look out for you. Phoenix is wonderful."

Phoenix cleared his throat. "That is surely an honor, Your Highness, but there has to be someone better?"

"It's either this or you find her a husband. I trust your judgement."

How could this happen? If her mother really thinks that she was going to marry Phoenix or someone he found that was good enough, she was definitely wrong.

"So you're saying I don't have a choice? I can't believe you!" Winter stood up and walked away from the table, pushing her chair in. She walked up the stairs as the nerves took over her body.

Summer got up to go after her, almost away from the table before Mother's stern voice stopped him. "Don't."

Though it was just one word, Winter wanted her brother to stand up for himself and come to her. She needed the comfort and he was the only one that would give it to her. But she knew it wouldn't happen.

"Winter, where are you going?" Mother's voice was louder this time, almost to the point of yelling.

Not answering her mother, she could hardly think by her entire body trembling as her heart picked up the pace. She knew she was destined to be the ruler and there were always things she would have to do that she didn't like, but something didn't feel right about him. Being alone with him throughout the day wasn't what she planned and she definitely didn't want to marry him. How could she marry someone she barely knew? As she placed her fingers on the door knob of her bedroom, she heard him speak.

"I'm not sure exactly how long I'll be here either." Even though she couldn't see him, from the sound of his voice, she could feel the sly grin appear on his face.

" Even though she couldn't see him, from the sound of his voice, she could feel the sly grin appear on his face