Chapter Fifteen - Part One

"Don't go all crazy now," Phoenix told her before she got the chance to look up.

Winter was still focused on being on top of a mirror. She couldn't understand that it was the road. It surprised her, but then again, she had magic. This wasn't any different.

Finally, her gaze moved from the mirror to Phoenix. "Crazy? Why would I do that? We're standing on a mirror which is completely new to me, by the way. Don't tell me what to do."

He continued walking forward, his pace slow while he waited for her. "Just so you know, it's the street. We don't have normal cars or anything coming on the road except us, so they designed it that way we could see ourselves at all times."

All she could do was nod. Her eyes moved in all directions, a little too fast for her head to keep up. There were many more buildings here than there were in Goldenfordge. She assumed most of the people had jobs since very few were outside, though the ones that walked the streets waved and smiled at Phoenix non-stop. He must've been very liked around here, but she had no idea why. They couldn't be reacting that way just because of the treaty business he was in.

Fresh air soared through her nostrils as the wind blew, slapping her hair against her back. While keeping a steady pace behind Phoenix, bright green leaves from a lonely tree came into her view. Why was that the only one? She twisted her head from side to side, soon realizing that they were hard to come by. No wonder the leaves on the trees she did see were so bright. The people must be taking care of them before more buildings ruin the land. She wasn't used to not seeing a lot of them. Getting away from the trees at home was impossible.

"Where are we going?" Winter chirped up, tossing a look at Phoenix while swinging her arms back and forth.

Steadily keeping his pace ahead of hers, he sighed. "Just follow me. You'll find out when we get there."

She didn't feel the need to respond, but the silence soon became her worst enemy. So many questions filled her mind that she wanted answers to. Although, she knew when to not bother Phoenix and since she had no idea where she was, it was probably best that she didn't.

A silver twinkle of light caught her gaze from where she was. It wasn't too far ahead of them, but she wanted to see what it could have been. Without realizing it, she passed Phoenix and continued forward as his footsteps on the street trailed behind her.

Winter came to a complete stop when she was able to look at the object in full view. Her jaw fell open. She couldn't believe its beauty. It was covered in silver and looked like it was made out of stone, the sculpting of it was in the shape of a man holding a sword with a stern look on his face. Was it the King? She wasn't sure. Around him was the base which was built to the ground, holding the water in place. Either way, what mesmerized her the most was the water spewing out from the bottom of the sculpture in a circle.

It wasn't until Phoenix placed a hand on her shoulder that caused her to jump and break eye contact with the fascinating piece, blinking a couple of times. "Geez, Phoenix." She took a breath. "Don't do that."

"Why are you so in love with a water fountain?" he asked, ignoring her statement as he removed his hand.

Pink filled her cheeks as she blushed. "I-I'm not...I've just never seen one, okay?" She regained her composure, standing up straight then folded her arms. "So, back off."

"Wait, you've never seen one? Why not?"

By now the two of them were facing each other. Drops of water landed on Winter's body while standing by the fountain. She shivered. "Goldenfordge doesn't have one, at least not that I've seen. Out of all people you should know that. Seems you've been there more than I realized."