Chapter Fourteen Part One

The wet sand touched Winter's toes as they made it to the shore of the beach. Ocean water splashed against her legs as the breeze pulled her hair back away from her face. She didn't know what they were doing at the beach, but she was perfectly fine with it. This was the one place where she always remembered the most about her father. Never in a million years would she let those thoughts go. It had been a long road since Father passed, but no matter how much it hurt, she knew she was stronger than before.

"What are we going to do now?" With the sun beating down on her, she followed Phoenix's gaze to the edge of the ocean. There was nothing there except for the bright blue sky. Shadows of mountains stood out, but they were so far away that she could only make them out by squinting her eyes.

Phoenix turned his head towards her. "What do you mean?"

Laughter left her mouth. "We are on the shore of a beach. All I can see is water and there's nothing around to help us get wherever you need us to go."

"As I told you before, we are going to Lost Meadow."

Winter left the conversation alone, the soft sound of the waves filling the emptiness between them. All she could think about is how he might be hiding something. Why wasn't he telling her what they were going to do? She didn't want to be stuck on the beach with him forever. He had to be leaving an important piece of information out.

Ripples emerged from the water as she kicked her feet around. No matter what, she wanted to know. "How are we going to get there?"

"Have you not learned anything throughout all of this? Teleportation, sweetheart, that's how." He rolled his eyes. "We do have powers, I'm pretty sure we're allowed to use them."

She sighed. "You're right, but why did we walk here, then? And why haven't we left yet?"

Phoenix paced back and forth, crossing his arms. "Look, Princess. I get it. You don't know anything about magic yet, but would you stop with the questions? I don't have time for this."

"Seems like you do. Neither of us are doing anything right now. Just answer the questions." Winter moved closer to him. She deserved to know the answers. Why wouldn't he tell her? The more he avoided it, the more she knew he was hiding something.

"I'll make a deal with you. I'll answer your little questions about magic and, in return, you can shut up and let me relax for a minute while I figure this out. Got it?"

She sat in the sand, pushing herself back a little to make sure she was far from the water. "Fine. So, about my first question. We could've been here a lot sooner if you just teleported us."

Finding a rock that was close by, he sat down too. "Well, certain types of magic take energy. If you use too much of it at one time, it takes a while before it replenishes. Now, knowing this, both of your questions should be answered as it is the main reason why we haven't gone anywhere. Hold up your end of the deal and leave me alone."

Winter got up and brushed the sand off her clothes. She opened her mouth, wanting to say something, but then closed it again. There were still so many questions she wanted answers too, but it was best that she didn't ask them yet. Who knows what he would do if she broke the deal.

The water moved with her as it crashed against the shore while she made her way to the opposite side of the beach. No matter how hard she tried to push it away, she still wondered what the connection between her father and Phoenix was. Did it have to do with the curse? Was she looking into this too much? Maybe Father would be disappointed in her if he knew that, lately, that's all she wanted to know. If only he was here, she could ask for advice, but it was too late for that now. Then there was Summer. She left him without saying goodbye, though she was unsure if he wanted to speak to her. Or even if she wanted to talk with him. The whole situation surprised her. Attacking Mother just wasn't ever in Summer's list of things to do. Unless doing it was eating at him the entire time and he never told her. But it couldn't be. He was the ray of sunshine in her life. Now she just had to find a way to get him back and search for the reason why he did it all.

 Now she just had to find a way to get him back and search for the reason why he did it all