Chapter Six - Part One

Her nerves were shooting up as the anticipation of finding out what truly happened filled her body. Was everything she knew about her brother a lie? Were they only close because Mother enjoyed playing games? She wasn't sure whether she was about to lose the connection between her mother or with her brother, but she was anxious for either to happen.

Out of the corner of Winter's eye, Summer's pale face was staring back at her. Immediately, she knew he was shocked that Winter asked her mother so easily. Her hands shook as she waited for a response, but nothing came. The silence between the four of them seemed too much like an eternity that she wasn't sure what to do next. Mother heard her, didn't she?

Summer cleared his throat and nudged Winter, pointing at their mother. "Ask her again," he whispered, placing his hands in his pockets of the red jacket he wore.

By now, Mother walked over to the living room table, certainly ignoring the question. She was shuffling through multiple papers, placing them in folders before any of them could see what was written. Could this be a secret about Summer? Or something different?

Her mother grabbed the folders, holding them close and turned. Winter, Phoenix, and Summer were all staring at her. "What's the problem?"

Winter took a deep breath, her heart beating wildly in her chest. Each beat meant one step closer to not standing up for herself or her brother. She opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came.

"Well?" Mother crossed her arms, tapping her foot impatiently on the wood floor.

Phoenix walked forward as if he was about to take over for Winter, but she threw a hand out in front of him, stopping him from continuing.

Her breathing relaxed as she finally gained the courage to repeat the question. "What happened with Summer at the park?"

Mother shifted her weight between her legs. "I don't know what you mean."

Of course. Why would her mother be honest right from the start? It would just make things easier, but Mother was always hiding something. Winter just wanted to know the straight answers for once. Ones that Mother never gave. "How do you not know? I know you sent him to the park. Phoenix and I both saw him. He started a fight with Phoenix."

Summer nodded. "I don't know what happened. I can't even remember it."

In the midst of it all, Mother's lips twisted into a small grin. It was like a quick flash before her face changed though, almost as if she didn't want anyone to know. Why was she smiling like that? Her own son, the favorite, got into a fight with the man Winter was supposed to marry and her mother was happy? It didn't make any sense.

"What'd you do to my brother?" Winter yelled. She had enough. Answers would come, even if she had to fight Mother for them.

Her mother raised an eyebrow. "Nothing was done to your brother, Winter. Why would I hurt my own son?"

That was the one question she was asking herself repeatedly. There had to be an answer for it. Summer wasn't a violent person. He was too kind and caring for that.

"I know you had something to do with this, Mother. Summer can't even remember what happened. Why would he do this on his own if he doesn't know anything about it? You won't win this."

Mother turned, shooting a quick glance at Phoenix and he nodded, almost as if they were talking in their minds like families do. Though, that couldn't happen since they weren't related. She was definitely up to something. Winter would find out exactly what. She wasn't afraid of her mother anymore.

Before Winter got a chance to blink, a blast of wind hit Summer, knocking him to the ground. Phoenix did it again. What was his problem?

Watching her mother intently as Summer bounced up, nothing happened. Mother wouldn't even defend her own son. Winter stared in her direction then realized Mother had her hands behind her back. What was she doing?

"What'd you do that for? Summer asked, stretching his arm back like he was going to attack.

Once Winter got a couple steps closer, a bolt of fire sped in her direction, just barely missing her head as it flew towards her brother. That certainly didn't come from Phoenix, it had to come from her mother. She couldn't believe her eyes.

The fire hit Summer in the arm, making him screech in pain. He sat down in one of the chairs a few feet away holding his arm, as if that would ease the burn.

"Phoenix! Why would you hurt my son? What did he ever do to you?" Her mother asked, her face red.

"I-I didn't do it," Phoenix stuttered. "I promise."

"Don't you lie to me. We've been through this once. I know you attacked him. Emily, come here, Summer needs help. He's been burned!"

As soon as the words were spoken, Emily came walking into the room. "Yes, Your Highness." She quickly went over to Summer and applied ice to his arm, then a bandage a few moments later.

"Phoenix didn't attack Summer, Mother. You did. I saw it," Winter spoke up.

"Hush. Phoenix deserves a punishment for the trouble he's caused. Don't you think?"

"But he didn't--" She tried to interrupt.

Mother sighed. "How many times do I have to tell you not to interrupt me? Now, back to what we were discussing. Because you attacked my son, Phoenix, I think we should talk about you visiting the chambers."

"I don't think that should be necessary, it's just a burn."

"Just a burn? Why of course it's necessary. After all, he isn't just another guest in the castle. This is my son we're talking about."