Chapter Thirteen Part Two

Since she couldn't find Mother anywhere on the first floor, Winter ran up the stairs, stopping when a glimpse of her mother appeared to her left. Phoenix's footsteps followed behind her as she moved slowly toward her bedroom door. The smoke got more intense, the smell forcing her hand to cover her nose when the flames came into her view.

"Mother!"

The fire immediately turned in her direction the minute she made a sound, but with that movement, blonde hair and those sweet blue eyes stood out to her. Summer was the one controlling it.

Phoenix rolled his eyes. "Great job, Princess. Now we're going to get attacked."

Her little brother. The sweet and caring friend she grew up with would never even think of doing something like this. Blinking repeatedly, she couldn't believe it. What did Mother do to deserve this? Was he doing this to get to Winter? She didn't know, but the frightened eyes of her mother told her this was certainly real. Mother's lips moved as though she was about to speak, but no sound came out. Something needed to be done fast.

Winter concentrated as strings of ice appeared in her mind, though she struggled with the idea of hurting him. No matter how much he meant to her, her mother was in danger. Father would do the same. Attacking Summer without hurting her mother was important, but her process was taking too long. Making a move before he did was vital. The image got stronger, the cold running through her fingers, drawing a shiver from her body. It wouldn't be long until her magic came alive.

A few seconds later, two strings of the ice shot out from her hand, aiming straight for Summer. She couldn't believe her magic was being used to hurt her brother, even if it was for saving her mother. It never occurred to her that she would actually do this.

Before the strings fizzled away, she moved her hand in a circle, forcing the ice to move around his body. As each crystal tightened, little by little, Winter motioned her hand to pull backwards. The small spikes on the edges of the strings dug slightly into Summer's skin before they exploded against him, making him stumble back and rub his sides.

Her heart softened, exploding into pieces. She actually hurt him. With her eyes watering, Winter didn't want to look at him. They couldn't go back now. It was done. Taking a quick glance but making sure her brother didn't catch her, Summer was glaring at her. Was their friendship over? Sure, she needed to save her mother, as anyone would've done. But was it worth it? Summer was always there for her and she just chose a side that wasn't him. No. He attacked; he never would've done that. What if this was more of Mother's plan to break them up? Or a part of the curse? She'd figure it out and fix this. Losing her brother wasn't an option.

The flames that were once directed towards the two of them vanished. Phoenix chuckled. "Did you really think you were going to win, Summer?"

With a swift push, Phoenix wrapped Summer in wind as he pinned him against the wall. "Where is everybody?"

Winter stood by her mother, but only silence was spoken between the two of them. Phoenix was right the entire time. For once, he didn't tell a lie. She was proud of him for that. Although, as soon as Summer left, she would have to tell Mother everything and she wasn't ready.

"I don't know...I was looking for Winter. That's all I remember," Summer spoke in between breaths.

Phoenix lowered him from the wall, releasing his hold as his hand fell. "Sure you were. Tell me, why would you put your mother in a position like this?"

Summer moved his hands to his sides, his face flat. "I don't know."

Immediately, Winter took the opportunity to say something, anything. She hoped he would listen. "Summer, please I'm so-"

"Don't apologize to him! You did what you had to do. He deserved it," Phoenix interrupted.

A sigh left Summer's lips, a couple tears escaping down his cheeks. "He's right. I don't...I can't take an apology for what I've done. I'm sorry." He walked down the stairs, giving a brief look to Winter, but left the room before giving her a chance to open her mouth. Maybe it was over. Maybe he wouldn't talk to her at all. Maybe he just needed space. But she would fight to keep him around.

 But she would fight to keep him around