Chapter Two - Part Two

Winter gasped, a little shocked at how her mother acted, but it wasn't completely new. She never wanted the two of them to be close, yet they managed to be anyways. The two of them had to walk next to their mother instead. Wanting to get Summer's attention, Winter tried to turn, but it was no use. All he was doing was facing forward. There were times when Mother was around that he acted like she wasn't there. It wasn't every time, but it did happen.

When the door swung open, their white carriage and two brown horses were waiting in the front. They all walked down the steps, then forward until they reached the opening. Removing her arm, Winter watched as her mother stepped inside, the guards gently helping her. Shortly after she sat down, another wizard offered his hand to Winter. She took it as he raised it up slightly, giving her just a little height when she hopped in, landing on a red cushion right next to her mother, with Summer following closely behind.

She wasn't ready for this.

Winter looked out of the opening, the horses started to trot forwards, leading them to the Royal Hall. The speed increased as the rumbling from the carriage occurred more than once. Removing her attention from everything outside, she glanced at her brother. He was too focused on looking straight ahead to notice. His hands were shaking. That made her heart run a mile a minute. He couldn't be nervous, he had to be there for her. She counted on that. Sure, she knew how he felt. That was his father too, after all. But if he showed any sign of weakness, she immediately knew she would break down. He was the stronger one, not her. Her thoughts pulled her away from looking at him and instead, she glanced outside again. Witches and wizards were walking on the streets, following them as they made their way there. 

After about ten minutes, the horses came to a quick stop. She spotted the tall, white building when she moved to her left as the wizard, who was guiding the horses, came down to help her. Winter grabbed his hand and jumped down, landing swiftly onto her feet as her dress ruffled a little. She smoothed it down and walked toward the Hall, opening the large, gold doors when she made it to the front.

Summer was waiting for her, so they could walk inside together. "You can do this. Remember, I'm here for you and I'll stay by your side." 

She gave him a smile then exhaled as she walked inside, looking at every corner of the huge room. "Thanks."

Her feet tapped against the dark, wood floor as she moved along, glancing at the ceiling. It was tall and splattered with gold in between the many windows to let the sun shine in. Then, her eyes moved forward, locking on the casket that laid out in front of her. She ran towards it and placed her hands on the top, tears falling before she could even speak. Not long after, the sound of more footsteps appeared. Winter turned around, then realized her mother standing behind her. Quickly, she backed up, releasing her hands from the casket and said, "I'm sorry, Mother."

She didn't speak, making Winter look down and fold her hands. Discomfort washed over her as she twirled her thumbs, but she wasn't surprised when she didn't say anything. Winter knew deep down that her mother never really liked her, no matter how much she tried to prove that she would be better. Scanning the room for Summer, she found him on the other side of the room. He must've left when Mother showed up. If only he would come and comfort her.

Winter glanced in her mother's direction, waiting for her to make eye contact, but it didn't happen. "Your father always wanted a daughter. I never went a day without hearing women should be able to rule as well." She sighed. "The Core syndrome. The doctor that took care of your father came by to give his condolences. He apologized repeatedly, letting me know that the King's core has been weakening for about two years now, but you know how your father was, he was always too proud to let anyone know of his problems, even us. "

A disease? Changes in her father's behavior showed. She could tell something was wrong the majority of the times that they spoke, but he always brushed it off like he was just tired. Why hadn't she done anything? If she would've just noticed it sooner, maybe she could've stopped his death. A frown came across her face. Maybe it was her fault.

Silence grew into the room, waiting for moments to pass between the two of them. Her mother turned in Winter's direction before she spoke again. "Apologizing to me doesn't hold any meaning. If anyone, you should apologize to your father, for he could never truly leave a kingdom in your hands. How can someone like you, so close to being The Voided, actually rule?"

The Voided. The two words she never wanted to hear from anyone, especially her mother. She wasn't one of them. She had magic. They didn't. She may have the lowest amount of magic there was, but she wasn't an outcast like them. She was a princess.

Although, maybe her mother was right. Could she really do this? Her father believed in her and she knew that, but now that he was gone, she didn't have anyone to trust her with the kingdom. What if she couldn't do it?

 What if she couldn't do it?