Chapter Twelve - Part One

When she locked eyes with Phoenix it was like her worst nightmare had come to haunt her once again. How did he even get here? The last few hours were still a bit fuzzy to her, but she knew she left him in the chambers. At least that was the last time she saw him.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice came out weaker than she planned.

For the moment, she couldn't feel any pain in her thumb. She had a cast up to her wrist, which left her fingers open but covered her entire hand. She still found herself in the same white walls as before she fell asleep, but she couldn't tell if it was a different room.

He laughed, crossing his arms before giving her a half smile. "I came to see how you're doing, of course. Why else would I be in a hospital?"

"Maybe because someone actually beat you?" She fired back, then moved her head off the pillow.

"No one can beat me, Princess. Not you or your father."

Her eyes grew wide when those words left his mouth. "My father? Did you kill him?"

"Of course not, Winter. Why do you think I would do such a thing? Your father and I were close, I couldn't."

There was something about the way he said those words that she just couldn't believe. Father's death certainly had a reason, but she couldn't figure out what it was. A part of her wanted to pin his death on Phoenix just so he would leave her alone. Although, she needed proof which she didn't have. Plus, it seemed a little crazy to want to do that. Could it be possible that Phoenix was a part of the curse? Would that be why Mother and Father have known him so long? Once again, there was nothing to base it off of. She rolled her eyes, pushing her thoughts away. "Maybe because I just don't like you."

Phoenix chuckled as the nurse walked in. "Oh, I knew that. That isn't new information, trust me."

The room fell silent for just a few moments while Winter's vitals were being checked. "You'll get to go home in about an hour or so. We just want to make sure that you're okay before you leave," the nurse said.

Winter nodded with a small smile on her face as her nurse walked out of the room. Readjusting herself on the hospital bed, she turned towards Phoenix. "I still can't understand why you're here. I thought you were still with Blake."

A shiver ran through her body at the thought of leaving Blake behind and finding out what he would do to her if he knew where she was. He could never find out, but with the person she doesn't trust the most sitting right here next to her, she knew that Blake would find out one way or another.

Phoenix sighed, taking her away from what was playing in her mind. "I told you I came to check on you. I knew your thumb was broken the entire time and it just happened that I would find you here at the hospital."

"If you knew my thumb was broken, why didn't you do anything to help me?"

"I did. I got you out of the chambers, don't you remember that?"

"Yes. Now, leave."

He stood up straight. "What?"

"I said leave. I don't want you here."

Kneeling down by her bed, Phoenix whispered softly, "Oh, sweetheart, you can't get rid of me."

She was unsure of what to think about the way he talked to her, but her heartbeat rose after he spoke. It scared her that he seemed to be around every corner, never letting her out of his sight, although letting him see that would be a waste."Really? Watch me."

It didn't take long before Winter pressed the red button hanging above her bed.

"What are you doing?" Phoenix asked, raising his eyebrows.

Holding back a smile, she said, "You'll see."

Winter's nurse appeared just minutes after. "Is something wrong?"

"Yes. I've been trying to tell him to leave. I'm tired and I need my rest but he's not listening." She had a feeling that even if he left now, Phoenix wouldn't be gone for long, but at least it would send him away for a little bit.

He rolled his eyes. "Are you serious right now?"

"Sir, I apologize but Winter is right. She does need her rest, visiting hours are closed. I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

Crossing his arms, Phoenix sighed and stared directly at Winter, as though he was sending daggers through the air towards her. "Fine, but just so you know, this isn't over."

She closed her eyes, lying her head on the pillow when the sound of footsteps walked away from her. This wasn't the best position she could be in, but at least she was safe. For now.

The nurse stepped inside her room, closing the door behind her, a bright smile filling her face. "Are you ready to go home?"

 "Are you ready to go home?"