Chapter Eighteen - Part Two

Once refreshed, she returned to the living room, immediately meeting Phoenix's gaze.

A glare was aimed right for her. "What took you so long?" he growled, the tension creeping up between them.

It was just a shower. She couldn't understand why he was being like this unless keeping an eye on her at all times became his favorite task. But there was one thing she knew that she could hold over his head. His little secret. Though she hated even thinking of the cruel things Phoenix did, her mind flipped between backing down and being the one who caused no problems or playing the same level of his own little game. "I—" she stopped, trying to gather her thoughts.

For the first time, or at least from what she could remember in her time with Phoenix, he broke contact between them, shifting his gaze over toward the couch. Without missing a beat, Winter followed it easily, the company sitting on the couch quickly changing her mind about her response.

His family arrived. Would that be why he made her go through all of this? Just so none of them would know what she's really been through? Of course, she hadn't seen any of them in a while, but she remembered the way Phoenix was around them. A different person. Almost as if this cruel, lonely person she knows now never existed. She took a breath, each of their smiling faces melting into her like a sauna, her skin on fire from the newfound nervousness. While placing her shaky hands behind her back, she responded, "I apologize, I was just getting ready for your family to get here."

Awaiting his reply, she forced a smile across her lips, knowing that's exactly what he wanted her to say. Though she couldn't wait to beat him on this level they were playing, she knew better than to start drama when it didn't involve those specific people.

Instead of answering her, Phoenix placed a hand on her back leading her towards his family, the skin everywhere on Winter's body doing its best to run away from his touch as she tried not to flinch. It hadn't been that long since she was slapped and even though she had no choice but to deal with it, she was still afraid of him. Unsure if she'd ever recover from that, she decided to do her best and move those thoughts out of her mind, giving Phoenix's family a small wave. At least by seeing them she'd be out of the basement for a while. She enjoyed their company when she did get to see them and wearing a magical dress like this one was certainly a plus.

"Winter!" Phoenix's sister moved closer to her, the idea of someone being even remotely excited to see her still blowing her mind. She's never had many friends, especially ones who were family to a two-faced enemy. Summer was always her closest friend, but they weren't even allowed to be close the majority of the time. Being alone was always the case, yet when Lauren gave her a hug, happiness overflowed her. For only a moment, all the thoughts of being trapped left her mind.

"Hi, Lauren." She smiled, glancing around the room, eyes landing on that brown-haired brother of Phoenix. "Hello, Nick. It's great to see you."

"Hah. Sure. How are things with you and Phoenix? Are you his girlfriend yet?" he teased.

Winter rolled her eyes. She despised Phoenix's brother just for this reason. How could she even be a friend to Phoenix, let alone a girlfriend? Who does this guy think he is? Never in a million years would she even dream of that happening. Walking past him, she sat on the couch not wanting to respond, but Lauren followed behind her.

"How have you been?" she asked, ignoring her brothers.

Phoenix heard the question and was watching her intently. One wrong answer to this question that would lead Lauren to have any idea what's going on and he'd have her cornered in the basement again with no food or water at all. A small shiver ran through her body. She was happy to be out of there. Going back in was not the answer, at least not yet.

A small sigh escaped her lips, giving her time to think about what she would respond. "I'm good, been quite busy with Phoenix but we are getting things accomplished."

Lauren nodded, ready to continue the conversation, but before she could say a word Phoenix's mother spoke up. "I know we just got here a little while ago, but why don't we all go walk around the city? I think it would do us all some good to get some fresh air, don't you think?"

As mumbles of agreement moved around the room, Winter realized Phoenix was the only one who didn't approve. More than likely, he was thinking the same thing she was. This would be her chance to get out of here. With everyone around her, she could easily sneak away and no one would know, except maybe Lauren. The only downside was that she didn't know her way around like she knew in Goldenfordge. Here, she'd be running away blinded without any idea of which way to turn considering Phoenix never let her fully know where they were going. Too excited, she bounced up. "Yeah, let's go. I would love to see more of Lost Meadow." No matter what, she would leave this torture behind.