Chapter 2

4 Years Later

I think I’ll go back to Canada next. I think as I walk to the Dual Bridge motel, my current work place. Canada is one of the few places I felt at home; the ruff mountains at least.

Even if my family is gone it should still have some homely feeling left to share. Of course I can’t go back to the cabin; I couldn’t even tell you where it is; but I only have a year of school left then I can hideaway from civilization.

I didn’t like moving from L.A. so soon. I was only there about Six months but I got wind that Kain was planning a visit to some head honcho vamp so I came here to Chicago sooner rather than later. Best not to test fate. I'm a firm believer in safe then sorry.

It’s been two months since I have been here; so far it has been uneventful. The leaves are starting to turn declaring the end of summer and the beginning of fall. School started up two weeks ago. I go to school during the day and work under the table cleaning rooms at night.

It’s not much; $15 for four hours of degrading work, but it is something to eat that night. Plus, if I work over the weekend they let me have a room for the night. It might not be the best place, but it’s better than the abandoned property’s I usually sneak into during the week.

I’m heading to the break room to get my smock when the front desk clerk Ann chimes in. “Greg is looking for you.”

“What for?” I groan.

“How should I know? He’s in his office.” How she is capable of chewing her gum while filing her nails simultaneously is beyond me.

Without giving her a response I turn in the opposite direction heading to Greg's office behind her desk. Ann leans back in her chair blocking my path I round the connor. We stare at one another neither budging.

“Well?” She finally barks.

“Well what?” I scowl.

 “What are you going to give me for staying late to inform you of this important information?” So that’s why she stayed after shift. She only works days and shift change is at 4P.M.

Aside from her bombshell looks, which is the only reason why she is front desk, she is much like a troll wanting a random for crossing her bridge.

I smile sweetly. “How about a ride?” I grab the arm of her chair and spin her as hard as I can in my human condition. Which is apparently enough because she is tumbling off her chair making a very unladylike screech.

Before she can get her bearings and realize what happened, I hop over making my way through the door on the other side.

A muffled “You’ll pay for that!” comes from the other side.

I roll my eyes. “Very original.”

“Winter! Leave Ann the hell alone and get your ass over here!” Bellows Greg. Ann may not look her part but nothing hides Greg’s over grown pig syndrome. He’s a short, round, balding ball of slime.

If his looks and personality aren’t enough to make you believe me than his job will. You see this motel is a classic example of a cover business. The real reason this place is here is so their 'girls' are safe and less likely to get picked up.

Yep my work place is a cheap brothel and Greg is the collector. It’s not his operation he just runs it for show. Nobody knows who the real guy in charge is.

Oh, but I only clean. I might be desperate for money but I have some standards. Still it is always assumed that any girl working here ‘works’ here.

I don’t let it bother me I have bigger things to worry about then what a few humans think. Not many places will let a young girl work without filing out the required paperwork so I’m not too picky.