Chapter 18

The guilt starts when we pull up to the front of the house and Connor comes racing out. More so from the thought of abandoning him then the kiss itself. He is clearly not pleased as he stomps across the drive.

"When I ask you where my mate is." Conner fumes. "You are obligated to tell me."

"I apologize. I was not aware that you currently have a mate because it certainly is not Winter." Gabriel seethes.

Any other time I would chalk Gabriel's attitude up as just a normal response to Connors lack of social skills. But after tonight I am starting to understand just how much I still don't understand.

"Ok well now I'm back so no need to worry. I just needed to get things in order I suppose." Looking to Connor. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken off like that." After a second thought I add. "Or at all."

Connor doesn't look ready to forgive just yet. He starts to say something only to close his mouth thinking better of it. He just stares at me in anger but it holds the feeling of a worried parent. It reminds me of the first time I went to Tia's house and didn't tell Mom where I went.

"If it helps I learned my lesson." I say hopefully. After getting no response I toss my hands up. "Oh come on everyone makes mistakes! I just tend to go big then come home with mine."

That makes him crack. Softening he stops glaring at me to inspect the rest of me. Rat nest and all. "Sorry Winny but that coat is not flattering. Dig the hair though."

"Sure bets the rest of it." I cringe bringing to mind the tattered dress beneath.

Gabriel doesn't move from my side as Connor wraps me in his arms forcing him brush his arm with Gabriel's. "We just need to get you washed up. I can help with that."

I can't make out Gabriel's reply as Luna appears in the doorway supported by Charles. "Luna!" Quickly escaping Connor's embrace to replace it with hers. "I'm so sorry I left you like that."

"They didn't even tell me you left until they found you." She pouts. She looks good just drained. Looking me in the eyes she accuses. "They were naughty and so were you."

"Sorry Luna. I'm the reason Santa has a naughty list." I smile hoping to pacify her with a joke.

Luna does not laugh instead she looks more flustered. "Yeah well you might be behaving now but the boys aren't. What did you do to them?" She yells at them. "Quit lollygagging and be happy Winny's home!"

Neither of them say a word because they are locked in a soundless challenge. It would have gone on forever had Connor not thought of another way to raise the stakes.

Giving his devil may care smile he turns his back on Gabriel. "Of course I'm happy my mate's came back to home me."

I'm about to remind him I am not his but Gabriel does that for me. "She is not your mate Connor."

Connor walks towards me grinning and I know he is about to kiss me for his power play again. Placing my foot behind me to step away I glance to Gabriel. Our eyes meet and I feel it, the paralysing sensation of the claim.

Connor stops dead in his track letting out a savage growl. Gabriel pays him no mind taking the few steps past Connor to me. Connor must have viscous thoughts to be cought in the same paralysis as I.

Standing before me, Gabriel reaches up brushing my cheek. Tucking a stray hair he leaves his hand on the back of my neck. Using his thumb to tilt my chin giving him better access to my neck.

I can hear Connor growling as Luna whispers. "Enjoy it." If I could smile I would have. Knowing what to expect I close my eyes taking her advice.

Gabriel leans in and his slight intake of air already sends shivers. But when he exhales they multiply. His warm breath lingers on my skin in the cold night air. Placing his lips to my neck sets my nerves tingling in every direction. I sigh leaning my head back. I can feel a smile forming on his lips as his next kisses trail down my neck.