Chapter 13

Luna stands behind the couch both hands in the air. Her mouth hanging open in shock her eyes about to pop. Gabriel and Charles both have one hand in her raised hands the other in their pockets. They both are trying to hide a smile from my current state.

Which is flat on my butt clutching at my chest trying to keep my heart from flaying out. Connor makes no attempt to hide his laughter anymore.

“You ass! You know they were fine! What the shit?” I am so confused I look back to Luna accusing. “Surprise what? What the hell? What, what?” I glare from one person to the next wanting answers.

This is their braking point everyone is laughing now. Everyone except me. I still await answers.

“I think we broke her.” Luna worries her hands still raised.

Connor is still laughing at my expense but grabs me under my arms picking me up. I swat him away. “You don’t get to touch me until you tell me why you let me think something was wrong.”

“I would have ruined Luna’s surprise and this was way better than I expected.” He slaps his knee.

I turn to Luna who points up confused. “Didn’t you read the sign?”

I look in the direction she is pointing and hidden behind more balloons is a ‘Winny Winter’s Spectacular Birthday Bash!’ sign.

Counting the days in my head my eyes grow big. “Oh crap I’m 18!”

“She really forgot her birthday.” Gabriel says mystified.

“Told ya she would!” Luna declares proudly.

“How did you all know?” I breathe.

“Mo’ Charlie remembered the day you were born.”

"I was a young shifter but it's not a day you can forget." Charles explains.

Luna shrugs. “I thought you might forget. You don’t seem to remember things when it comes to yourself. So I knew a surprise party would get you good.” Luna smiles sweetly. “Happy birthday Winny.”

Tears gather in my eyes as I look around. They really do care. I raise my head higher clearing my throat. “Thank you.”

“Don’t get emotional yet, I have the whole night planed!” Luna sets me on the couch.

She knows me alright. I don’t want a normal party where you have the whole school. I only want a fun night with my friends and that’s what she gives me. First we play a game of pool which turns into three games. During the second game Gabriel gets a phone call and excuses himself saying he has a delivery in town he needs to pick up.

Then we all watch and sing my favorite musical Rent causing utter chaos in that living room. The boys clear the furniture. We sing at the top of our lungs while Luna and I dance the Tango Maureen.

The real fun begins after the party is over. Connor pops in at the end of the final song saying, “As much as I like watching Winny dance I’d rather be the one making her move.” He strides to me taking my hand in his. Without breaking his gaze he says. “Winter wil-” He is cut off as he chokes on a piece of popcorn that comes sailing from across the room.

I seek out the culprit who turns out to be Gabriel leaning against the door frame with a crooked smile. He has his arms crossed with a small package in hand. “You talk too much.”

Connor isn’t talking now. He looks ticked. He glares at Gabriel letting out a small growl. Gabriel responds by glaring right back.

I need a way to defuse the situation that is growing. I open my mouth to make peace when I’m pummelled by popcorn.