Chapter 3

His smile darkens as he smells my fear. Shocked I place my left foot back a step before I catch myself. I try to correct it but with a flick of his gaze he catches that movement also.

He continues toward me never losing his dark grin. Forcing me to finish my step if I don’t want to touch him. Doing so will say I'm prey to be played with. Looking back to his eyes I have an urge to let him touch me and deny his fun he is currently having. I take the step away. Let the games begin.

Wagering on the hope he still thinks me human and not shifter food, I force myself to cower. Slightly bowing my head and hating myself. “I’m sorry I s-seemed to have lost my head for a moment. Please excuse me, I don’t want to be late for class.”

The hardest part is not watching his movements and keeping my eyes planted to the acorn on the ground. Looking anywhere but at the blazing cold blue.

He must have expected something else because my response brings the startled expression back. It quickly vanishes behind a dashing grin. “Oh, of course. I can’t make you late can I?” He steps aside bowing but never looking away.

I see my chance at freedom and take it only to be blocked yet again. I jump back quickly to avoid any contact. Locking eyes with this strange vampire my breathing elevates. “Excuse me.” I virtually spit out.

Staring right along with me he continues to smile that stupid grin. Maybe I’m wrong and he eats humans just the same but I know I want to smack that smirk off his stupid face.

“Most say it’s my best quality.” His grin widens showing his pearly whites.

I internally smack myself for saying that out loud. “Really?” I pipe up. “Here I thought it was your personality.”

“What do you mean? My personality is killer.” I swear he just flashed a fang.

Fear prickles in my veins. I go left to pass him and he follows suite. Real fear is beginning to sink in. It may be the day hours but some of the strongest vampires retain a small amount of power with this much cloud coverage. I know that by the time I get my cross off it would still take some time for my own powers to come back.

Not having much choice I back up and speak. “Fine guard the door like a dog. I’ll take the back entrance.”

Whipping around I attempt to walk away and slowly reach for my silver. He appears in front on me yet again. I flinch tugging lightly on the thick chain.

He glances down raising an eyebrow. Opening his mouth as if to speak, a bell chiming voice cuts in. “Gabe quit playing with that hum- girl or I’ll go get Connor!”

The voice came from the cute petite girl standing in front of entrance with a sassy hand on her hip. It's Luna, Connor’s sister. They were always together and look so much alike that when I first started here I thought they were a couple until I heard they were twins.

Even with her long wavy copper hair and emerald green eyes, her loveliness is not enough to save her from being called Looney-Luna. She’s a strange cookie that’s for sure. Connor takes overprotective brother into overdrive so not many people are brave enough to openly mess with her.

It helps that they are the only known shifters in this school. With a city of this size that is strange itself. All the better for me, so I don’t worry about that too much and just try to steer clear of them.

The stranger, who based on my awesome detective skills is named Gabe, spins around giving the girl a wicked grin. “You really think he is the best one for you to call on?”

With his attention on her I could have made my getaway, but I could not shake the feeling that I am still being watched, and survival 101: you don’t run from predators. At least not when you’re supposes to be the slower one, which at the moment I am.