Anchors

Stiles is in his bedroom asleep. He tosses and turns and grips the sheets. He mumbles to himself. "No, no, no, no, don't let them in."

Suddenly he finds himself, seemingly awake, trapped in a locker at school. As he stumbles into a classroom he sees the Nemeton growing out of the floor. As he reaches out to touch the Nemeton, thick vines shoot out of the stump and wrap around his hand.

He wakes, gasping for breath, back in his bedroom. Lydia is lying next to him and he explains to her that he was having a "dream within a dream."

Suddenly he realizes the oddity of having Lydia in his bed but before he can figure that part out, his door creaks open. Over Lydia's protests, he rises to close the door because, he says, "what if they get in?" Lydia becomes increasingly upset as he approaches the door, begging him not to enter. He enters anyway and finds himself outside and once again at the Nemeton. He screams in an attempt to wake himself up and apparently succeeds.

He awakens in daylight in his room, his father sticks his head in the door and tells him to get his butt to school.

At school Stiles explains to Scott about "sleep paralysis" a condition whereby the sleeper's brain paralyses the body to avoid acting out a dream in the real world. Stiles says sometimes the brain wakes before the body recovers and a person becomes aware they are paralyzed.

He posits that their surrogate sacrifice (see ) may have had lasting effects that are now manifesting in his sleep disorder. Stiles says what scares him the most is that he's not even sure that what's happening to him at that moment is real and not part of a dream.

Stiles wakes screaming in his bed. His father rushes to hold him. 

~~~

Scott is gathering up his books, preparing for school. He turns toward the door and catches sight of his shadow – his "shadow hand" seems to be a claw. He looks at his hand and sees that it remains untransformed. He closes and opens his hand the false shadow is gone. 

~~~

As Stiles readies himself for school, packing books into his backpack, he realizes that he can no longer read the title of one of the books. The title reads "DALESI XIS ANLA" with the subtitle "DOL WTAR I AWND RHIE WUTTRNRRIENLA SAOTRGLE FGO TPONE"

His father enters to ask if he's okay and the book's title reverts to English. It now reads "ALLIES AND AXIS" "WORLD WAR II AND THE INTERNATIONAL STRUGGLE FOR POWER" 

Stiles lies, assuring his father that he is fine after the nightmare. Noticing that his father is carrying a banker's box marked "SHERIFF'S STATION DO NOT REMOVE," Stiles questions him about it. The Sheriff doesn't explain simply saying they're "files from the office."

~~~

Allison leaves her apartment and enters the elevator. The air becomes much colder and the lighting dims. When the doors open she finds herself in the basement of the hospital. The building is damaged with flickering fluorescent bulbs, broken furniture, and debris littering the corridor. She enters the morgue, water drips onto every surface. The door closes behind her.

One of the corpse drawers pops open and the card on the front reads 'CASE NO. 113/NAME OF DECEASED: KATE ARGENT/ PLACE OF DEATH (CITY): BEACON HILLS/PHYSICIAN: Dr. R. Smith' The sight triggers a series of flashbacks including Kate Argent's death at the hands of Peter Hale.

As she looks into the drawer, it seems endless, stretching back endlessly. The sound of creaking metal heralds the arrival of a dirty and screaming Kate Argent, crawling spider-like, up the narrow conduit. Allison turns to run but as she pushes open the morgue door, she finds herself in the school hallway. Lydia asks her if she is alright. Allison lies, shaking her head in the affirmative.