The Last Chimera

At some future point in time, Lydia has a vision of standing in fast-moving water. Dr Valack is guiding her through the vision and asking her to describe what she sees. It's night and she can see the bridge where a young Theo watched his sister, Tara, die. Valack urges Lydia to give him more and more details because he says he needs to know why Theo let his sister die.

Theo's sister rises from the water. She has a large gaping hole in her chest through which we can see her ribs. Her heart is gone. Once Lydia, with a fresh trepanation hole in her head, relates this news to Valack, the doctor speculates that Theo wanted her heart for a transplant to make himself a biological chimaera. He says leaving his sister to die in the cold water in hypothermic conditions would keep the organ viable.

The Dread Doctors are shown with the heart and a young Theo prepared for surgery. Valack doesn't understand why the DD wanted Theo, "A ten-year-old willing to kill his own sister." A groggy Lydia asks Valack why he cares. He explains that Theo was the first step in the right direction for the Dread Doctors. He explains they are para-scientists who have prolonged their lives and twisted the laws of nature in an effort to create the "perfect killer."

He says they've now reached that goal but Lydia says Theo doesn't know who their last chimaera actually is. Valack says that doesn't matter because there is a reason they chose Theo, a reason he failed and a reason they changed their methods and finally succeeded. Valack says it all starts with Theo.

~~~

Still in the future, Tracy disables an Eichen House guard with Kanima venom. Josh disarms one of the guards by grabbing his taser and absorbing the electricity from it. Corey becomes visible from where he had been camouflaged against the lobby wall. Orderly Schrader informs them that visiting hours are over. Theo joins his pack and says they are there for Lydia.

~~~

Dr Valack continues questioning Lydia. She says Scott and Stiles found out the Doctors succeeded on the night of the supermoon but that they didn't really know yet because there was too much going on. She explains the events of that night, Liam's attack on Scott, Kira's absence, Brett saving Selene, Malia's attempts to find the Desert Wolf and Sheriff Stilinski's injuries.

~~~

In the present, the Sheriff is wheeled into the operating room at the hospital. Dr Geyer, Liam's stepfather, says Stilinski has a lacerated liver and a perforated intestine. The Sheriff removes his oxygen mask and asks for his son.

~~~

Stiles is at the admissions desk where the person on duty can't seem to find the Sheriff's insurance information and mistakes him for a deputy which frustrates his son. Melissa arrives and takes control. She explains she texted Scott and he is on his way. She offers to call Malia but Stiles tells her not to call anyone. The person behind the desk asks if there is any next of kin she should contact. Stiles explains he's all the family there is.

~~~

Scott is caring for his wound in his bathroom. He drops a bloody rag into the sink. The wounds inflicted by Liam seem to have healed but the stab to his gut from Theo is still ragged and bleeding. He stares into the mirror and tries to spark his eyes. With great physical strain, he manages to get them to glow red briefly but they quickly flicker out and return to normal. He pounds the sink in frustration.

He retrieves some bandages from the medicine cabinet, gets dressed and exits his room into the hallway. His vision shifts and the hallway seems to warp away from him. He passes out and collapses to the floor.

~~~

At the hospital, Stiles sits in the waiting room all alone crying.

~~~