Chapter 14

"I thought you weren't coming" I said  making my way towards him.

"Look, I'm sorry. I had this whole night planned and then last minute I had to go and do a photo shoot for some playoff promos. I wasn't counting on that"  he was so apologetic my heart was melting over this huge man with those puppy eyes in front of me.

"I was just worried, because nobody gave me a clear answer, not even Stephanie" I said reaching out for his face.

"I know it was so last minute. I thought that it would be quicker, but it wasn't. Then I had to go back to the Hotel and change, it was crazy" He kept explaining himself but all I wanted was to reach out for his lips and kiss him nonstop.

"It's okay" I said finally kissing him.

"That's a beautiful dress, but It's getting chilly already!" Aaron said putting his arm around me.

"October baseball baby!!!" I joked. Aaron laughed and kissed the top of my head.

We made our way back to the restaurant. The waitress that was at the door when I came in with Tyler gave me a confused look when she saw me walking in holding hands with Aaron. I laughed and Aaron gave me a confused look. I just shook my head and kept walking. 

"Aren't you surprise that this place is basically empty?"  I asked Aaron. He gave me a little smile that I thought to be suspicious but we reached the table and our families started to talk to us before I could comment on it.

"Finally! my girl over here was about to report you missing!" Tyler said as soon as we sat down. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Busy day at the office?" My dad asked with a little smile.  The complicity between him and Aaron was bigger as the days passed by but lately it was more evident. I love it even thought some ties it plays against me. 

We ordered dinner and we kept talking over it.  It was  so nice to be here eating with my  family, because this was my family. Small, different and just the best and most importantly all mine. 

After a little while my dad stand up and called our attention. I was a little curious as to why this whole thing was taking place and I was about to find out.

"This year has been amazing for me. I have love baseball my whole life and this life that I have been able to live is something that I treasure. The people that I got to meet during my playing days are still very important to me. Now that I have been given this second opportunity I had take it with grace and with the ultimate love and respect. I wanted to have this dinner tonight with you guys because I consider you my family. When Mike came to Miami to talk to me, I took this job as a hitting coach and I wasn't even sure if I would be good at it. With the help of some of the guys I had become a better, coach, a better person and most importantly a better father." I couldn't help it but smile as I felt a tear coming down my cheek. Aaron was seating next to me and he kissed it away. I smiled at him. He smiled back.

"A couple of days ago I got an offer that I just couldn't pass up. I never thought that it would be so soon or that I would be here with my starting right fielder as my son in law" We all laughed.

"No wonder he is always batting third!" Tyler yelled. We all kept laughing.

"Stephanie planned it!" Aaron defended himself.

"I know a good match when I see one!" Stephanie yelled.

We were all laughing but my eyes were fixed on my dad. I didn't know what he was going to be sharing with us. It felt kind of weird because we always had each other and nobody else and now here he was about to share some big news and  I was out on it. I didn't feel bad about it, but it made me realized that we have more people in our lives now. We were not longer alone.