Chapter IV

IV

IV. New Phases, New Faces

280 A.C.

"With this kiss, I pledge my love."

Livia looked on as the ceremony ended and applauds were heard. Her dear friend, Elia Martell had just been wed to Prince Rhaegar Targaryen.

With her father as the Hand, Livia was immediately invited to the wedding. Along with her siblings. It had been years since she had last seen Elia and nothing much had changed with her.

She still had her Dornish beauty, with her sunkissed skin and dark hair. She looked regal and more graceful since Livia had last seen her.

On the other hand, Livia had changed so much. From her childhood, she had blossomed into a beautiful maiden. Her golden hair, shining and her green eyes ever so vibrant. She had grown taller and had developed curves as she became a woman.

Perhaps that is why the gossips wouldn't die down. About her and Prince Rhaegar. Though, they had just met shortly before the wedding.

After all, her father wanted them to wed. King Aerys had just refused, not wanting his son to marry the daughter of his servant.

Of course, her father was angry. The king had just insulted him and his daughter. Who wouldn't be? Livia was both angry and relieved.

Angry that her house had been insulted. Relieved that she didn't have to marry a man she barely knew. Not that she had anything against Prince Rhaegar. He seemed to be a good man and would take care of Elia.

However, since she was not to wed Prince Rhaegar, the question stands, who would she be wed to?

To the North? To the Stormlands? To the Riverlands? To Dorne?

At that thought, she turned her gaze to Oberyn who was clapping politely for the newlyweds. As if he felt her gaze on him, he turned to her direction.

Livia found herself smiling at him and in return he winked, making her laugh softly.

She hadn't seen him since the day he left Casterly Rock. They had exchanged letters for a while but it ended as quickly as it began.

Partially because she had been more busy than ever. Then came the time where she had to move to King's Landing to be one of the queen's ladies which was a plot of her father's to attract the prince.

However it was not to be as the prince was always away in Dragonstone as if he couldn't stand the mere thought of being near his own father.

Livia couldn't blame him. King Aerys was a vile man. Queen Rhaella had confided in her more than once about what a terrible husband the king was.

She almost made Livia wish to never be wed, at least never to the king of the realm, seeing how terrible that would be.

As Prince Rhaegar and Princess Elia headed towards the feast to be held in their honor, everyone cheered.

That is, everyone but her father.

In an attempt to distract her from her father's stormy mood, her eyes wandered once more and landed on someone she had not seen before.

But from his black hair and shining blue eyes, she could tell that he was a Baratheon. Clean shaven, proud and tall. He also had an aura of a warrior around him.

As if he could feel her gaze on him, he turned and met her eyes, unflinching. For a moment, both of them did nothing. He smirked then and the crowds surged forward in bulk.

In a flash, he was suddenly gone.

•°•°•°•°•°•

"About how furious is father right now?"

Livia turned to Jaime who had asked her. "I'm afraid to ask. Why don't you?"

"I still want to live to see tomorrow, sister. No thank you." He answered, both of them bursting into laughter.

Their laughter, no matter how loud was drowned out by the collective voices and music playing. It was such a joyful celebration that to frown would have been a crime.

"Could you imagine, Livvy? This could've been your wedding. If it all went according to father's plan, you'd be a princess now." Jaime said, looking on at the party.

Livia only smiled softly. "Certain things happen for a reason. I believe that I wasn't meant to be a princess. To be a lady of Casterly Rock is enough."

"I wouldn't speak too soon if I were you." He said, trying to hide a smile with his goblet.

"Why is that?" She cocked her head, confused.

Jaime motioned his head to the sidelines where she saw Elia talking to Oberyn. "Weren't the two of you close? I had thought you would leave us to marry him."

"Oberyn? Gods, no. It's not that I despise him but he is not the one for me, I know it." Livia said, so sure of herself.

Kissing Oberyn had been one of the memories she had stowed away in her heart. But now, grown as she was, Livia knew that she didn't love him. What they had was a mere childhood attraction.

Though that made things a whole lot more complicated,what with the decision of her father on who she was to wed, since she wasn't to be with the prince. Perhaps a lord, a Tyrell maybe, who knows?

"Then who is the one for you, sister?" He asked, curious to know what she would answer.

Her frown immediately disappeared from her lips, replaced by a playful smile.

Her eyes twinkled with mischief. "Let's make this a bit fun, shall we?"

"How so?" He questioned, taking both their goblets and placing them on a table nearby.

"Go dance with Cersei while I shall walk alone to where everyone is dancing. I shall turn seven times for the seven gods and whoever's arms I land in shall be the one for me." Livia said, laughing at the childish game she just thought of.

Jaime thought about it for a moment before nodding, laughing along, the wine already affecting him.

"Well, this just got more interesting."