Chapter X

X

X. Weight of a Queen's Crown

Livia could not help the few tears that escaped her eyes as she packed the last of the things that the queen will take with her to Dragonstone.

With the news of Prince Rhaegar's defeat, King's Landing had gone into a state of panic. After all, Robert Baratheon's army would soon march towards them.

She could not believe it. So many have died. Even the prince whom everyone thought to be full of hope and promise. Now, he was nothing more than a pile of bones.

Poor Rhaella, poor Elia, poor Rhaenys and Aegon.

"Livia, dear." Queen Rhaella called with a weak tone. "Come here please."

Livia rubbed her tired eyes quickly and went to the queen's side. "Yes, your Majesty. What can I do for you?"

"My dear. You know that we are past such formalities now. I would like to take this time to say goodbye to you and to thank you for everything you've done." Queen Rhaella said with a sad smile.

Livia noticed her weakened state. Her pregnancy has taken much from her. She was so pale and so vulnerable. Livia could only rush forward and embrace the queen.

"Forgive me, my queen. I just-I wish that I could do more for you and for your son." Livia whispered in the queen's arms.

The queen had treated her so kindly. Although she had been cold at first, Queen Rhaella had warmed up to the Lannister girl, considering her as a daughter. The daughter who comforted her, cared for her and talked to her.

"Livia Lannister, you have done so much for me and my family. I only wish I could take you with me, to take you away from all this grief but I know why you must stay. You have duties to your family as well." Queen Rhaella answered, holding the girl tighter in her arms.

They stayed like that for quite some time until a soldier knocked upon the door to inform them that the time has come for the queen to be evacuated.

Queen Rhaella stood up with shaky steps as she walked towards the door and towards the docks.

Livia watched her leave with a heavy heart before realizing that the queen had forgotten something.

She carefully grabbed the object and sprinted to the docks where she reached Queen Rhaella and Prince Viserys, now the Crown Prince, just in time.

Livia lifted the crown in her hands as she watched the queen's eyes widen. "My queen, you had forgotten your crown."

Queen Rhaella took the crown from her hands sadly and placed it upon her own head, seemingly placing a huge weight upon her.

"Farewell, Lady Lannister. May you never know the weight of a queen's crown upon your head."

With those final words, Livia watched as they escaped into the sea, praying for them both.