Chapter XXXIX

XXXIX

XXXIX. Never and Always

Ned looked up at the familiar tower, dread growing at the pit of his stomach.

There had been too much loss on Dornish soil. Perhaps they should all just stay away from the most southern part of Westeros.

"She should be up there, just up those steps," Ned spoke, frowning as the memory of finding his sister crept up on him.

No. This time would be different, Livia would be alive. 

Just as Robert was.

Ned looked to his friend who was a bit pale despite already making a full recovery. 

The poison had only stayed in his system for a short while. Luckily, with the help of the maesters in Sunspear, the antidote was quickly applied and Robert was up and running once again.

The moment he was cured, he rounded up the Kingsguard and Ned to go straight to the Tower of Joy.

Having been there before, Ned led the way, all of them on horseback.

The whole time, Robert had been fussing with himself. Muttering apologies about coming so late or just thinking. Maybe about how much time he had lost.

Three months. Three full months. Livia would have already started showing.

Finally, he was there but still, Robert hesitated, turning to Ned. "If I'm being honest with you, I'm terrified."

Ned's brows scrunched in confusion. "Of what?"

"I'm scared for the worst. I-It's been three months and I don't know what to do." Robert answered, standing at the bottom of the staircase.

Ned clasped his shoulder firmly. "Go to her."

"But what if she doesn't feel the same way? What if she realized she never really loved me?" Robert asked, voicing out the thoughts he had been worrying about ever since they left Sunspear.

"Time does nothing but strengthen the hearts of those who truly love. She loves you and you love her. Nothing and no one can take that from you." Ned replied, smiling.

Ned knew from the beginning that Robert never truly loved Lyanna. He never knew who she was, not really. Yet his sister had already gone from this world, it doesn't mean that Robert's heart should go with her.

Lyanna had made her choice, she made her bed and now, she had lied in it. Ned wouldn't deny that Lyanna made mistakes but they were her choices, and she was free to make them.

Robert shouldn't have to suffer for her choices. He deserved to be happy and so did Livia. The only way they could be happy was when they were together.

Livia brought Robert back to life. Ned had seen firsthand what Robert lost when he fought in the countless battles but only now did he see how much he had healed.