Chapter XLIV

XLIV

XLIV. Across Troubled Waters

290 A.C.

Livia could only sigh, half in frustration, half in resignation.

"What are the three of them up to now?" Livia asked, looking up at Jaime.

Five years and Robert was still causing such a ruckus wherever he went. She'd be fine if he did it on his own but of course, he had to involve their sons.

"Wrestling. By the beach." Jaime answered, chuckling.

"Seven hells, they're supposed to be at their lessons right now." She shook her head before she finished braiding the hair of her youngest daughter. "There you go, my sweet."

The little girl jumped from her seat, running to her uncle's legs, clinging unto one of them whilst giggling. "Nuncle!"

"Hello there, Sabine." Jaime greeted, bending down to pick up his niece, playing with her dark hair, streaked with dark gold strands. "At this point, you're the only obedient child."

Sabine nodded, laughing before inserting one of her thumbs in her mouth. Jaime has always been her favorite uncle, much to the dismay of her uncle Tyrion.

Livia immediately took Sabine's thumb from her mouth and into her arms once again. She turned to Jaime. "Do you mind going to the kitchens and having the cooks make some honey cakes?"

"Of course, sister. What are you going to do?" Jaime asks, crossing his arms.

"Stop the boys from hurting themselves, of course." Livia answered, worriedly. If Robert hurt the boys, he was in for an earful.

Jaime laughed. "Do not worry. If anyone's going to get hurt, it would probably be Robert."

He left with a swish of his cape, humming a tune to himself. She was glad to see him so happy and confident with himself. The years had only made him more like a golden lion. More sure of himself. She was glad that Jaime found his own healing.

She turned to the little girl in her arms. "Well Sabine, shall we go and save your father?"

Sabine nodded vigorously, her raven hair flowing freely. "Yes Mama!"

Livia was careful to walk towards the ocean, down the steps, descending towards the beach where Ser Barristan was watching from afar while the king was wrestling with his sons.

Cassian and Johan, one year apart, their raven hair identical, stood with their feet apart and arms loose while they stared warily at their father. They looked tiny compared to their towering father.