Chapter XXVIII

XXVIII

XXVIII. King's Confrontation

A small council meeting without Jon Arryn felt like a strangers' meeting to Robert.

With the Hand in Dorne talking business with Prince Doran, it was up to Robert to call the meetings with people he did not feel comfortable with.

Schemers, all of them.

"Lord Tywin has provided enough gold for weapons in case of an attack, Your Grace." Lord Baelish spoke, with that raspy tone of his.

Robert nodded at him once before asking. "Yes, make sure to give him my thanks. What is the status of the royal treasury?"

After the war, the treasury had been drained, depleted almost to the last bit of gold. With new alliances being made, especially the one with the Lannisters, they were slowly regaining the lost gold.

"With the way things are going with the merchants and the traders, Your Grace, the Crown will be able to repay all debts with the Iron Bank. However, the queen has been aiding in rebuilding different structures in Westeros from the royal treasury." Lord Baelish answered, looking down at a piece of parchment.

Many spoke of the things Livia had done this past week alone. She had helped build hospitals, aided different orphanages, and provided assistance to many who wish to continue their businesses, not just in King's Landing but everywhere in Westeros.

Yes, he had been busy but she had been busy as well. Every day correspondences arrived, not just for him but for his wife as well.

With her clear wisdom, he was almost tempted to ask her what to do about the Dornish uprising but of course, Jon was already handling things. No need to worry her about such a thing.

Robert smiled at the thought of her before seriousness fell over him again. "Yes, she told me of that. Whatever she might need, provide it to her. Every bit of the royal treasury is to be accessible to her, do you understand?"

"Yes, Your Grace. Of course." Lord Baelish replied, bowing his head.

Before any of them could say anything, a series of commands erupted from outside the chambers. All heads turned to the door before it burst open.

Livia entered the room, power radiating from her form alone and though her face was clear from any expression, he knew she was angry or at least, upset.

"My lords." She greeted as they all bowed to her.

Robert stood, confused. "Livia, what are you...has something happened?"

Ignoring his question, Livia turned to the rest of the small council once again. "My lords, forgive me for interrupting but I have urgent business to speak of with my husband. Alone. You are all dismissed."

At once, they all started to leave, gathering their parchments before leaving the chamber with the door shutting as if in finality.

Immediately, Robert found himself approaching her, cradling her cheek, making her green eyes meet his own. In them, he saw pain, before she pushed him away.