Chapter XXXVIII

XXXVIII

XXXVIII. Blood in the Water

285 A.C.

"As much as I enjoy your company, good brother. You still should not have come."

Robert stood by the helm of the ship, looking over at the still-recovering Jaime Lannister.

The poor knight still had bruises on his face and a cut on his lip despite weeks of healing. Luckily enough for him, the ladies still found him attractive.

If Livia knew that he let her brother come, even with all his injuries, she would slap Robert to the next decade.

It had been too long. They had wasted time with meetings and if he had to wait any longer, he would have drank a whole tavern dry. He had decidedly left Jon in charge of the kingdom as he sailed to Dorne. 

Ned had ridden to King's Landing just as they were about to sail, saying that he owed Livia. If the girl hadn't delivered his father's last message, Ned would be lost.

They had been on the ship for some weeks now and Robert was getting sick of the view of endless oceans.

"Oh please. Your honorable, dutiful friend, Ned Stark is here and I shouldn't be?" Jaime scoffed.

"Jealous?"

"Of your intimate brotherhood? No thanks, I still have quite some dignity left in me."

Robert grinned. On normal occasions, he would have guffawed at the joke but he couldn't find it in himself to laugh when he was on his way to get his wife back from the man who kidnapped her.

Jaime cleared his throat, bringing Robert to look at him. "Listen, I don't mean to pry but I saw your armor and your war hammer. Are you planning to kill Oberyn Martell? Is that it?"

He had brought the armor for a semblance of comfort. He wasn't going to face the Dornish in silks, he was going to come as the warrior, the man who ended the Targaryen dynasty. Maybe then, they would know they are not facing a wuss of a king.

Robert had thought about it on various occasions. Killing Oberyn Martell. After all, the Dornish prince had taken his wife. It would be easy to, he had killed Rhaegar Targaryen, he could kill Oberyn Martell.

But what about Livia? Would she want him to kill Oberyn? 

"Honestly, I do not know. Let's hope things won't have to come down to that." Robert answered.

"Well, I hope you come to your decision soon." Jaime said.

Robert asked, confused. "Why is that?"