Chapter XXXVI

XXXVI

XXXVI. Gone, gone, gone

Robert didn't particularly like the cold. 

Being cloaked in furs and more clothing than necessary was quite irritating. He found it difficult enough to wear the fancy attire in King's Landing when he would have been happy with a simple white tunic and breeches.

Yet here he was on the road of Winterfell, freezing his arse off despite wearing many layers when he wished he was by the warmth of his chambers back in King's Landing.

He couldn't help but think of Livia. She was always on his mind these days. When they were traveling on horseback, he would remember the story of how she learned how to ride a horse and how she rode a horse with ease.

When they would stop to set up camp, he would recall when they sat in front of the fire and when they first truly saw each other. Even stopping at taverns, he would remember the time she came to a tavern and easily put him in his place. 

And she loved him. Livia loves him. His first instinct was to ask why. After all, how could someone as strong and beautiful as her fall for someone like him?

She had managed to heal after such a terrible event and he couldn't even get past his nightmares. She was a true lion and he still acted like a wayward stag. She was a true queen and he was barely a king.

But for some completely unexplainable reason, she chose to give him her heart. He didn't have any experience in caring for something so precious but he was damn well going to do his best.

As for him, he didn't know how he felt. He had thought that he had loved Lyanna, maybe he did but what he felt for Livia was completely different.

With Lyanna, it felt like a cold wind that swept his eyes to fall on her but with Livia, it felt like a warm embrace, knowing that you can close your eyes and trust that she will still be there.

Maybe he did love her, maybe going on this trip and finally saying goodbye would confirm that he felt the same for Livia. 

But one thing Robert knew for sure, when all this business of saying farewell was over, he would return to Livia's side because that was where they both belonged.

With each other.

"I would ask what you're thinking about but it's written all over your lovesick face." Jon piped up, interrupting his thoughts.

Robert schooled his features into an uninterested face. "And what am I thinking of, oh great one?"

"You're thinking of Queen Livia. You always have that look on your face when you are." Jon answered, laughing.

Robert rolled his eyes. Another thing that reminded him of her. "You must think you're very funny."

"You're thinking about your wife, oh no, what a crime." Jon sarcastically replied before becoming serious. "Gods, Robert. There's nothing wrong with missing your wife. I guess you have me to thank for that."