Chapter XLIII

XLIII

XLIII. Mere Dreams or Reality

286 A.C.

It started out as a mere joke.

One morning, Robert rolled over on his side, pulling Livia's form to his chest and whispering. "Marry me?"

Livia had woken up, slightly confused, not sure if she heard right. "Huh?"

"Marry me." He repeated, peppering kisses on her neck.

Laughing, she turned to face him, sleep still present in her half-open eyelids. "We're already married. Go back to sleep."

Every morning, Robert would wake up, roll over on his side, press kisses on Livia's neck, and whisper the same words. "Marry me?"

After days, even weeks of asking, Livia finally relented, answering. "Yes, I will marry you. Now go back to sleep."

The very next day, Livia awoke to sunlight streaming through the windows instead of Robert's kisses.

She suspected that he was still asleep, stretching out her arm over to his side to find it surprisingly empty.

"Robert?" Livia sat up, looking around the room in confusion. She reached her arm towards their side table and wrapped the silk robe around her form.

She walked over to the balcony, confused to see it empty. Moving over to the solar, she spotted covered plates of food and a pot of tea prepared along with a piece of parchment.

Livia picked up the parchment and unfurled it.

°•°•°•°•°

Good morning my Liv,

You may have noticed that I am not present in our chambers at the moment. Knowing you, you probably woke sometime around noon. I am preparing some last-minute things for the important event in the Kingswood at sunset. Cassian is with me as well, not to worry. For now, enjoy the breakfast of all your favorite foods and afterwards, in your closet, you will see a red gown. I thought of you immediately when I saw it. Put it on and kindly go outside. You'll like what I've got planned, I'm sure.

Loving you always, 

 Your Robert

°•°•°•°•°

Livia smiled at the note. What in seven hells was Robert up to? Nevertheless, she was excited. An event? That she didn't plan? Thank the gods!

Sitting down at the solar, she lifted the covers off the dishes and saw crabclaw pies and goat cheese with baked apples.

Livia ate quite quickly, washing it all down with tea and honey, and headed to her closet.