Chapter XXXII

XXXII

XXXII. Chances Are

284 A.C.

"What?"

"I just-I can't believe you're here."

Livia smiled, hooking her arm around Robert's as he helped her step out of her carriage.

"It's about time, isn't it?" Robert asked, looking around at the newly rebuilt structures.

Ever since that day, from small council meetings to answering correspondences, they did it together.

Where Livia worked, Robert had the servants put another desk and chair for them to work on things together.

It made things much easier for the two of them, having someone to rely on. Finally not alone.

She trusted him. He trusted her. Completely and utterly devoted to the realm and to one another.

At first, it was odd, even the small council meetings were slightly awkward. But in time, things went smoothly and they were able to work in long silences, only breaking it with jokes from Robert and questions from Livia.

It was tiring work but having someone to do it with made it worth doing.

"I agree." Livia answered, leading him into the hospital she had aided a few weeks before.

There were now fewer soldiers confined, most of them recovered from their wounds and had already gone home or returned to the service of their vassal lords.

"I can't tell you how many people have approached me and told me to give you their thanks. You helped a lot of people, Liv." Robert said, intertwining their hands together.

She squeezed his hand. "We helped a lot of people, Robert."

"Maybe being king of the realm isn't so bad, after all." He said, grinning down at her. "As long as I have you by my side as my queen."

Before she could open her mouth to reply, Jeyne came into view, bowing to her, and seeing the man beside Livia, the woman bowed even lower. "My queen! My king!"

"Robert, this is the woman who started this hospital." Livia introduced, laughing softly as Jeyne quivered nervously.

"I see. I owe you my thanks for taking care of the realm's soldiers." Robert thanked as the woman bowed once more.

"Yes, Your Grace. Of course, Your Grace." Jeyne answered before sauntering off to one of the soldiers in the beds.

Robert turned to Livia with a smirk. "Is she always that...anxious?"