Chapter XIV

XIV

XIV. Remnants of the Ruin

End of 283 A.C.

As ladies helped Livia get dressed in a fine red gown, its stitching made of fine red satin, she felt nothing.

They're dead. Robert's succession is secured.

They had her sit down at the vanity mirror, pinning her golden curls half up, while the rest were left cascading neatly.

It was Ser Gregor Clegane and Ser Amory Loch who did it. But we all know who commanded it.

They picked from different jewelry to adorn her with. Pearls, diamonds, sapphires, even rubies that looked just like blood.

Slaughtered like the Targaryen scum they are. Killed where they stood. They had no hope. No hope at all.

The ladies decided on gold to compliment her hair and her dress. They painted her lips red to cover the wound that was still there. They covered with powder all the bruises that have yet to fade.

Dead. Now, no one will ever doubt the Lannisters' loyalty to the Crown and the new king.

The ladies left Livia to her own as she waited for her father to come and take her to the throne room to meet the would-be king.

Yet she could not breathe, could not cry, could not speak. She had not spoken ever since she heard the news of Elia and her children's deaths.

The only sound ever heard from her were the sobs emanating from her room in the middle of the night, the terrors that haunted her.

The events at the throne room. Elia and her children, their laughter turning to screams. Rhaegar clutching her hands to hold her to a promise that had been broken.

She couldn't bear it. Thinking too much about it only broke her. Besides, she's had enough of the horrors at night. She would not plague herself in the mornings.

Things were supposed to be over. Everything was supposed to be alright yet it wasn't. It was her fault. It was all her fault. If she hadn't trusted her father with everything, this wouldn't have happened.

Livia looked into the mirror and saw what everyone would see. They would see a Lannister, of course, but her eyes had lost their proud shine and her lips formed a frown instead of a smile.

Livia had killed them all. She may not have been the one to stab them but she had ensured their deaths the moment the king granted passage to the Lannister army.