Chapter XII

XII

XII. Long live the King

283 A.C.

Livia swallowed the last drop of Dornish red from her goblet as she tried to gather all of her courage. Her fingers shook as she watched from her window.

All the carnage. All the deaths. She shouldn't be surprised though, considering it was all her fault. It was her decision to protect her father, to protect her family.

She did not regret it. Or did she?

After all, she was the one who went before the king, on her knees to let the destruction in.

Livia shook her head once more before pouring herself another goblet. The wine helped numb everything, aided her in forgetting.

For a moment, she could even pretend that everything was alright, that there wasn't an army causing destruction outside, and that she and Jaime were not hostages.

They were the safeguard. Lord Tywin would not risk the lives of his first-born daughter and son. King Aerys may be mad but he wasn't an idiot.

Just as Livia was about to sit on her bed, a knock sounded. "Come in."

A messenger enters the room. "Lady Livia, the king summons you to the throne room."

She shook her head in reply, laughing mockingly. Perhaps the wine had already infected her brain after all.

She nodded at the messenger as she tucked something in her skirts. For protection.

Livia followed the messenger to the throne room, through the empty hallways and silent rooms.

It was as if the Red Keep was empty. All the soldiers were in battle or dead. Many had already fled and among all the Kingsguard, only her brother remained.

The doors to the throne room opened and Livia saw Lord Rossart, the new Hand of the King, King Aerys, and Jaime, all in deep conversation.

Upon her arrival, the king turned to her with a smile on his face as she bowed.

"Lady Livia."

With a swallow, she knew what she had to do. "My king, forgive me, I did not know of what was goi-"

The king approached her, clutching her shoulders tightly as Livia tried not to cringe. "My dear, you have nothing to apologize for. Your father has betrayed both of us."

She frowned. King Aerys had been so delusional. How could he be so entrapped by her that he does not see her betrayal?

Livia only nodded. "Yes, it seems so."